Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which way to do true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which way to do true duals?

I want to do 3" True duals over the axel. I have 2 options to have the true duals made.

1. Buy a tsp or lpp kit and have the rest fabbed
or
2. have the whole exhaust fabbed (I supply cats and mufflers)

I am thinking about going with one pipe over each side.

Which would be best? The kooks exhaust is not an option and I feel like it would be cheaper to buy an lpp or tsp kit and have the rest fabbed. any experience with either option?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

I am do the same I will install LT and provide cat/mufflers... The shop quotes me at 350 to run both pipes welded... I'd say take it to some shops and quote it out and then compare price etc. Personally I like to know that I'm running custom as opposed to having the same setup as someone else if you go with tsp x or something... In the end I'd say that's probably a personal deal

Also I have a question and not trying to hijack but is it a good Idea or not to weld the pipe straight to LT or should I get a flange?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

I have seen it done both ways. Personally I will probably clamp the cat to the header. Subject to change if the exhaust shop recommends different.

Originally Posted by bones_c
I am do the same I will install LT and provide cat/mufflers... The shop quotes me at 350 to run both pipes welded... I'd say take it to some shops and quote it out and then compare price etc. Personally I like to know that I'm running custom as opposed to having the same setup as someone else if you go with tsp x or something... In the end I'd say that's probably a personal deal
was that aluminum, steel, or stainless?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Not sure quick phone call I am leaving for a month so I did not get a chance to run te car in to the shop and actually let them look etc... Itd be nice stainless but I gyre tee that's not a stainless quote lol

Guarantee... Stupid smart phones!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While there are some muffler shops out there that will do a good job I can tell you that most of them will make a mess out of trying to do an exhaust system for these cars. Most muffler shops dont think outside the box enough to be creative with their bender. Then there is the fact that it will be crush bent in most cases. Some crush bent pipes look ok, but some are very bad.

Look around for someone to custom fab one out of mandrel bends IMO.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bones no, welding the longtubes to the pipe is not a good idea what so ever,flange or some headers are slip fit,if your gonna have a custom set up done I would go with 2.5 inch pipe,will help on clearance,and getting over the axle.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

what about the bassani system? i just found out about that system. any reviews?