Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Degilling Stock Air Box lid

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Degilling Stock Air Box lid

I degilled my stock air box lid today. Is there any good way to clean the particles out? I tried running water for 15 minutes and then wiping dry, but somewhat large particles remained. Any tips?
Old 04-24-2011, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your lid has "gills"? and i thought the catfish name was just a joke. i guess my car can breathe underwater.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

For lack of a better term...
Old 04-24-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

fyi...we did this to a friend's car. it was a total waste of time.

the filter will pick up anything left over.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by s346k
fyi...we did this to a friend's car. it was a total waste of time.

the filter will pick up anything left over.
I think what he is trying to do is make the stock lid smooth like a after market lid, so the lid would be above the filter, so if there is anything left in it it would bypass the filter.

What did you use to smooth it out? I would try and wet sand it down to make it smooth and get rid of anything that could possible break off and get in the engine. Although the screen on the MAF should catch anything too big
Old 04-24-2011, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

I used a dremel, then sanded with 60, 180, and 240 grit. I washed it out really well then used an sore compressor to blow anything left out.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
I think what he is trying to do is make the stock lid smooth like a after market lid, so the lid would be above the filter, so if there is anything left in it it would bypass the filter.
you are aware that the filter fits between the lid and the rest of the engine, right? and i figured out what he is doing. we did it 6 years ago. believe me, it is a waste of time haha. we dremeled it and also used sandpaper to finish it off. it was clean, smooth, and gained absolutely 0 in the 1/4 mile. he replaced his stock "ported" lid with a clear mti lid and picked up 2 mph.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are aware that the filter fits between the lid and the rest of the engine, right? and i figured out what he is doing. we did it 6 years ago. believe me, it is a waste of time haha. we dremeled it and also used sandpaper to finish it off. it was clean, smooth, and gained absolutely 0 in the 1/4 mile. he replaced his stock "ported" lid with a clear mti lid and picked up 2 mph.
Agreed! you just wasted a bunch of time for nothing really. You could have saved that time, did something else to make $100 and then spent that hundred on a new lid that is proven to work and no worries of getting plastic shards in your engine now. YAY!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, but the air goes through the air filter, then up to the lid then into the engine. So if you do a crappy job of smoothing the lid any loose crap will not get caught by the filter. Now the lower intake that people cut away goes through the filter, but not the lid, it just sits on top of the filter.

See post 7
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ir-filter.html
Old 04-24-2011, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunately, I have a v6 so I can't easily find a lid. So this was my alternative.