Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaned o2's, running like poop.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaned o2's, running like poop.

Well, after my o2's repeatedly throw P0135/P0155, I decided to take em' out and clean them with some carb/choke cleaner (said o2 safe). They are the stock Delco's, and boy, were they caked in some carbon. I have longtubes with a cam, and it has always ran rich since I got the car. It bogs at idle, but really gets once above about 4000 RPM's. Person I bought it from said it was tuned, and provided receipts and dyno sheets, but I don't think it was only tuned for WOT.

So, cleaned them up, sprayed the insides nice, wiped them down with some shop towels, and stuck them back in. I go to start the car up this morning, drive for a bit, and it's doing somewhat the same thing it did when my MAF fuse blew, although not exactly the same. The difference is that it will idle just fine, etc, but when I press the gas, it sounds noticeably different, not detonation, but it is hesitating *badly*, almost sounds like the exhaust is whimpering (only way I can explain it). No backfiring, no popping out the exhaust, no missing, just sounds different, so I don't know if it's running lean/rich. It did not throw any codes while driving, but I *just* had them reset so I could see if cleaning the o2's got rid of my P0135/P0155.

It will still get, although I am hesitant to get on it in its current state. I am thinking I may have gotten some of the paper from the shop towel stuck in one of the o2's. I have already ordered a set of Denso's from Rockauto, and they should be here within a couple of days, but I was wondering if anyone else had run into this before?

Last edited by mrdreex; 04-25-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You can't clean 02 sensors........read it again....YOU CAN'T CLEAN O2 SENSORS, even though you want to really badly
Old 04-25-2011, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, if you cleaned them you most likely messed up the internal element. Time to buy a set of Bosch 13111's & call it a day.

Also you might want to remember when it says on stuff like that its O2 safe, that doesnt mean you can clean the sensors with it. But if its burnt during combustion it wont ruin the sensor. For example if you spray carb cleaner into the intake while the car is running it wont ruin a O2 sensor when it passes through the exhaust.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Word, was told I could. Thanks. Figured that was what it was, already have a set of Denso's on the way.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sprayed mine with maf cleaner a couple of times, it didnt clean them up much, but it didn't harm them either.

Search this Thread