Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full length headers with factory y-pipe/cats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full length headers with factory y-pipe/cats?

After searching and failing to find an answer, my question is (anybody with headers chime in) if i were to run full length headers, with cutouts then the factory y-pipe, would it even be possible or with a little trim job here and there would it work? or would it even be worth it because i would need a tune to take advantage of the headers either way? obviously i'm not overly concerned with how restrictive the factory exhaust setup is because i'd be running cutouts, and i dont want an ses light staring me in the face all the time.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like alot of work, probably be cheaper just to buy an aftermarket one, unless you do exhaust work
Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

I really don't see how it could be done, but even if you did, it wouldnt be a few cuts, it would be a complete hack job of the factory Y pipe and theres no way to maintain the factory cats do to their size since they are located after the stock manifolds going down the engine bay and not under the car, so without the cats your going to throw a SES light

Overall though you are really better off just getting a new Y pipe.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

not even worth it. just but an aftermarket y