Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear cover/oil pan question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear cover/oil pan question

First would like to say that i have searched this and found that the covers are interchangeable but thats about all i found out....now on to it.

Motor is a 98 ls1, oil pan is from a gto, and rear cover is from an lq4. The cover may be interchangeable but it isnt the same. The ls1 cover is 2x thick everywhere except for the bolt holes. Everything fits the same as far as i can tell but i have an issue. The area between the 2 rear oil pan bolts(the ones that go into the rear cover) is where my issue is. With everything bolted up i can see and physically touch the rear most part of the oil pan gasket. When i touch it and put downward pressure oil that is between the gasket and pan seep out. I know there is a silicon/rubber ring that the cover is sitting on. Should this be a concern?

I am about to go loosen my rear cover bolts and the rear pan bolts and tighten the 2 pan bolts first to see if it will squish and be tight. When i first did this i tightened the rear cover bolts up first.

Any info would be great, i may have a wierd combo of parts that just dont work together(doubt this). Let me know, and thanks in advance!!!!