Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust opinions needed..

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Exhaust opinions needed..

Alright, I did a search and read some but still didn't really find what I was looking for. I'm about to have longtubes, ORY, and cam installed and I currently have the LM1 catback (yeh, all the neighbors will love me). Anyways, I was wondering what you guys think would be the best route to go as far as keeping the car quiet enough to not **** everyone off, but not absolutely choke it up. I dont want to sacrifice a lot of power.

I know most will say magnaflow with e-cutout. Couldn't you just buy the magnaflow muffler and install in in your LM1 catback? Isn't that the same thing?

What about the corsa catbacks or the Kooks true dual (yes I blow money so its fine) Will either tone it down or be just as loud?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could have an exhaust shop a Magnaflow and keep your LM tips. Probably wanna remove the resonator too. I have a Magnaflow right now with a cutout. Hardly ever use the cutout but it sounds good. WOT is perfect. Part throttle tone is great also, could be a little bit louder but no complaints. Idle is nice and deep, just quieter than I'd like. Only thing I'd change it for is a true dual setup but between clearance and WOT loudness I'm probably gonna pass.

On a stock manifold car, I like Corsa's second only to the Loudmouth. With LT's and a cam it might be a little quiter but still gonna be pretty loud. Lots of issues with rasp also. Same thing for Borla, GMMG, and several others. Honestly on a cammed car the only catbacks that really sound good IMO are the Magnaflow and the Hooker. Hookers have a totally different sound. Idle sounds are subjective between the two. WOT goes to the Magnaflow between the two, plus it's stainless.

Mufflex also has a 3.5" system that sounds good over the internet but haven't heard one in person.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

High flow cats. My buddy had LM1+LT's+ORY. Side by side mine was MUCH quieter at idle and under normal driving. No rasp, no drone and you can keep it very quiet when you need to. WOT is still very loud but it doesnt really make that popping noise with the catted y as much.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

yeh. well my main concern is the cam/stall soon to come. Idk if you have that (not in your sig). With just bolt-ons I dont mind the LM1. I need it to be neighbor/cop friendly with the cam and ORY tho. But I dont want to put something on the car that's gonna ruin the mods I have.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by will8908
yeh. well my main concern is the cam/stall soon to come. Idk if you have that (not in your sig). With just bolt-ons I dont mind the LM1. I need it to be neighbor/cop friendly with the cam and ORY tho. But I dont want to put something on the car that's gonna ruin the mods I have.
Yeah with the ory its just insane even without a cam. Cats will prob lose you around 3 hp but they really tone up the sound quality a ton.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

I'd say you're going to have to go with high flow cats. After my cam, LT's, o/r y, and borla cat back its loud as hell..
Old 04-29-2011, 10:53 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running LT's, Corsa cat-back w/ high flow cats and it's not overly loud, never had anyone complain that it was too loud. I've not had any other exhaust on this car, so I can't comment on other set-ups.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

I would think that another catback would take less of a loss than a catted Ypipe
Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can always add a Borla XR-1 to your exhaust. Sound good with these motors and not lose much power. Catted y-pipe is always a good idea too.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

At this point I think I will just see how I like it once I get the cam installed (im sure I won't like it at all) and then probably just buy a magnaflow catback.

I don't want to buy a catted y simply because I have already purchased the offroad y, and for the price, i could just get a whole new catback.

Then if that's too quiet, I can get an e-cutout.

Thoughts?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by will8908
At this point I think I will just see how I like it once I get the cam installed (im sure I won't like it at all) and then probably just buy a magnaflow catback.

I don't want to buy a catted y simply because I have already purchased the offroad y, and for the price, i could just get a whole new catback.

Then if that's too quiet, I can get an e-cutout.

Thoughts?
You can get some $30 cats and be done with it. Doesnt take long at all to weld them in.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Stay loud and enjoy all the looks!!
Old 05-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Captain Double Post

A lm1 with ory,and a cam is gonna be nothing but loud, yes a borla xr1 aka borlamouth will make it sound better but will still be loud. You will like the lm1 with the cam for a lil bit though but I see you going nuts in a short period of time. I have a ms4 in my car and it was crazy loud.if your going for loud stay with your setup,if not I would change.I traded my lm1 for a magnaflow catback and have been very happy.another option is to get the powerflo conversion for the lm1,I just think cam,ory,lm1 sounds like crap,but sounds great at idle and owns at wot!if your looking for loud and good sound go duals