Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experienced input needed! Poly mounts, pedestals, headers!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced input needed! Poly mounts, pedestals, headers!

Just got done replacing my clutch/slave/etc so I'm not exactly a noob mechanic and I have access to all tools and lifts needed as I work at a dealership, but anyways I have a set of headers, Y pipe, spark plugs, and motor mounts on the way... I'd like/need to do the swap ASAP as the weld on the flange where my driver's side cat meets the flange is broken, and I broke the 4 bolts taking my stock Ypipe off during the clutch install... so needless to say my car is obnoxiously loud and sounds awful with that big of an Xhaust leak (not to mention it's my daily driver and only vehicle)

I've read all the great write-ups and threads on swapping the mounts while your manifolds are off and before you install the headers. I've seen a few say that the MM's are super easy if you remove the pedestals also. Basically I'm just looking for an estimate on how long it may take to remove stock manifolds, swap motor mounts, and install new headers and ORY. If it helps I no longer have EGR/AIR or AC so that should make things much easier judging from what I've read. Also if it helps, the headers I chose are Pacesetter race-style with a TSP ORY pipe (guys at TSP are awesome btw, had a chance to talk to Jon on the phone and Trevor through email, will be doing more business with them in the future!)

I have a great chance to work on the car this Saturday, but will only have about 5 solid hours of time at most. What do you guys think? Is it possible (of course with the help of a few cans of Monster )
Old 05-02-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

an experienced mek neck like you.....2 hrs
Old 05-02-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sharp drill bits patience and some knocker loose youll be good. Pluse not having aiir/efr or ac is a bonuce. Just got mine done and im into it probably 18-20 hrs or so. Thats totally by myself no help. And on the garage floor.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mek neck, haha I like it. If all else fails I'm gonna do one side at a time so I may end up having to drive with the stock rubber POS in one side till I can finish...But I'd have headers in at that point... I dunno. My lady's baby shower is at 2 and I'll be starting at 8am and need the car to drive there, HAHA if I'm late I owe her an early wedding ring so she says.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah definitely remove the exhaust manifolds, I was stubborn and did mine with the stock manifolds on, but I the moved/unbolted the alternator and AC compress, and it was still a pain. If I would of removed the manifolds It would of been a lot easier!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Manifolds won't be an issue, I'll have headers ready to slip in their place. And I won't have to worry about any A/C compressors or brackets either... I don't need ac to go fast haha
Old 05-02-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd say it's possible, as long as everything goes smooth!

Getting one side done, very possible!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys, anyone have any other tips or tricks that help make this job go fast as possible? I plan on taking the pedestals out for the MM's.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

bump, hoping to try and accomplish this on Saturday. I'll have most of the parts tomorrow...
Old 05-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Rockstar

If you haven't done it before, a full day. If you have, a matter of hours with breaks.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

What he said ^.. But if you haven't done it before hope you have the ring picked out.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
If you haven't done it before, a full day. If you have, a matter of hours with breaks.
No breaks, I like to work hard and fast...er...efficient :wink:
Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I don't think you have a chance of finishing in anywhere near that amount of time. Why not wait until you have more time to work on the car so you don't rush the job?

It took me more than 30 hours but that was taking my time and I work slow. The batteries on my drill kept dying while drilling out the rivets on the mounts, so it helps to have extra batteries or a corded drill. I'd also recommend using the spare jack trick in cyberkill's write-up to line up the thru bolt for the motor mounts. It makes it really easy if you are by yourself.

I'd be surprised if you could do it in less than 10 hours, but good luck! I wouldn't recommend only doing one side, because you have to then take one of the headers and y pipe back off to get to the motor mount.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^ I'm with him
Old 05-04-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO, get the car up on ramps/jacks the night before and get the y-pipe and coil packs off off, and spray down manifold and motor mount bolts. That will give you a jump start when you start at Sunrise (not 8 AM) the next morning.

BTW,use a stepped drill bit on the clam shells.

P.P.P.P.P.P.

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Old 05-04-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

5 hours was about what it took me for my first time, and I'm a decent wrench (I'm no mechanic either, but I don't know where some are saying 10+ hours). Didn't have the headers out either. I did remove the alternator and had the A/C compressor out of the way. It's really not that hard of a job. It's been years but IIRC I was able to get the large bolts out no problem. I removed the pedestals at some point, probably to get the bolts off from the mounts to the block. Used a grinder to make quick work of the rivet heads and then knocked them out with a punch. Leave the pedestals loose, to allow some play to feed the large bolt back through and align everything. Also do one side at a time. Watch the small gauge single red wire going to the top side of the alternator, very easy to rip it out.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a lift and air tool(which it sounds like you do) and some mechanical knowledge it should not take you long. I read horror stories about MM installs before I put in my solids. It took me around 2 hours with a lift and air tools. I was actually kind of pissed cause I took a day off of work to do it in anticipation of it taking a full day. This was with LT's installed.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lift and air is good!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lift, check. Air tools, check. I guess some didnt realize the details in my original post... I have no y-pipe currently, only manifolds and cats which will be off the car for the MM (installing headers directly after) and I have deleted the entire AC system so that cuts down a lot of time removing things. Also I plan on taking the MM pedestals out completely to put the poly mounts in the clamshells.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Start working before 8am and you should be all set.

Search this Thread