Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which muffler - LTs/ORY/Single 3" Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which muffler - LTs/ORY/Single 3" Exhaust

I decided that I am going to run BBK Longtube headers and the supplied ORY pipe. I currently have the Dynomax bullet race system (full, single 3" pipe with a little 16" dynomax bullet) and know there is going to be a ton of rasp and the volume is going to be outrageous, so I decided I want to run a single, 3" in/3" out muffler setup dumped right before the bumper (ala the mufflex system). So now I am searching for the right muffler….

I have ruled out a flowmaster 10, as it probably won't help with volume at all (but if it does quiet things down, it sounds incredible), so here are my choices…

Maganaflow (Similar to the muff on their catback system)
Hooker Aerochamber (Same as on the catback system)
Flowmaster super 44
Hooker MaxFlow (just found this online) is is louder than the aerochamber?? http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker+Headers/520/21606/10002/-1

(I am trying to stay around 100 bucks for a muffler, less it better)

Any opinions? I am leaning away from the Magnaflow for sound, I want it loud, but not barely louder than stock. I am also torn on the hooker muffler for the fact that they are known to have problems with things breaking inside the muffler, basically a big decline in craftsmanship. The Flowmaster 44, I would say one of the best sounding mufflers on Mustangs, but what about us?? Also, with this flowmaster 44 choke the whole system down like the 80 series does? Anything else? Dynomax muffler any good?

Please, open to suggestions! I plan to have this muffler and turndown welded together and then band clamped onto my exhaust, so I can drop it for the track or days I want to have more fun!

Last edited by TImmy_Jones; 05-18-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

So now I am really leaning towards the Hooker maxflow...anyone run one??
Old 05-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yep, I run one - two, in fact. I had the 14" version you're looking at when I had a catted Y, but went to a 22" version when I went ORY. (I don't think they make the 22" anymore).

Do a title only search on this forum for Maxflow and you'll see some threads. Here's the one that got me interested in it: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...hlight=Maxflow

Generally, it's quieter than an Aerochamber in typical driving and louder at WOT. The best part - no rasp. I have the 14" one on my M6 car and it's about as quiet as stock in around town driving. Good tone, too. I'm really happy with the Maxflow.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, do you run longtubes and an ORY??

I like that hollow/chambered sound and was leaning towards the aerochamber with LTs/ORY..
Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Wow, do you run longtubes and an ORY??
I like that hollow/chambered sound and was leaning towards the aerochamber with LTs/ORY..
Yep, LT/ORY. I tried an Aerochamber for a while; it just couldn't tame the rasp.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Yep, LT/ORY. I tried an Aerochamber for a while; it just couldn't tame the rasp.

So the switch from aerochamber to maxflow was quieter at part throttle, less rasp, and louder at WOT?

Did the aerochamber have a nice, hollow tone? I love that deep/hollow noise (hard to describe other than an OR/X and flow 44s on a mustang...)
Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
So the switch from aerochamber to maxflow was quieter at part throttle, less rasp, and louder at WOT?
Did the aerochamber have a nice, hollow tone? I love that deep/hollow noise (hard to describe other than an OR/X and flow 44s on a mustang...)
I didn't go directly from the Aerochamber to the Maxflow. After the Aerochamber failed to tame the rasp, I went back to my GMMG, added cats, powerstick, etc. Then after some time with that setup, I decided to go lighter and chase after a few more hp with the ORY/Maxflow. Worked great.

Recognizing that no LS1 catback is going to give you the equivalent of that Mustang ORX/44 sound, I would say that the Aerochamber had a sort of "hollow" sound with the ORY - more so than the Maxflow. But the rasp was deadly in that 2000-3000rpm range.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Pontiacerator

I'll add that a friend has an Aerochamber with stock manifolds/cats that's been on the car for several years. It's gotten louder over time; he's louder at idle and cruising speeds than my LT/ORY 22" Maxflow setup.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Want to kill the rasp and have something thats sharp and vicious with a little bit of smooth? Switch the bullet for a Borla XR1 race muffler part #40085, thank me later.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Recognizing that no LS1 catback is going to give you the equivalent of that Mustang ORX/44 sound, I would say that the Aerochamber had a sort of "hollow" sound with the ORY - more so than the Maxflow. But the rasp was deadly in that 2000-3000rpm range.
Agreed.......My car came with LTs, ORY, and Hooker catback.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmmm, I really appreciate the help. I was almost dead set on the aerochamber too.