Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!!!

I have a 98 camaro ls1 and lately after driving it for awhile the engine temp gets to a lil above 210 and then the car will bog down and shut off on me. When it does this I let it cool awhile and it will start back up just fine. I had a problem before with a short in my O2 wire that was blowing fuses and causing it to do the same thing but now it is fixed and the fuses are fine. But, last night I was driving my car and I only drove about 20 miles and the engine temp rose to the third line (the one after 210) and stayed there for a lil until I shut the car off and let it cool down because it should never get that high and I didn't want to do any damage. Here is something I left out about the fans... Before when I was having my fuse problems, the one relay for I think cooling fan 3 was making the fan run constantly even with the car shut off whenever you would plug the relay in. Then all of a sudden it stopped turning the fan on constantly. So i switched the relays for the cooling fans with other relays for the pcm and starter and the car still started which tells me that the relays are still working. What would I have to do to check if the fans are turning on or not? Does anyone at all have possible solutions or know what the problem could be???
Old 05-26-2011, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gess the first dumb question is have you checked the coolant levels? How about your water pump? Any new puddles under the car? Some more details on what you've ruled out will help narrow things down.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When your car overheats pop the hood and your fans should be on. If they are there working if not there not. It does sound like low coolant though if it is overheating while driving because the fans usually only need to come on while in traffic or at idle. Also with the ac on the fans should come on.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turn your heater on. If it blows cool air you have a coolant issue.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Teching In

The coolant is full it was slightly low but not much at all so I filled it back up.. The cooling fans are definitely not turning on. I took it for a ride yesterday to get it hot and the temp was a little passed 210 and the fans were not on. Idk if this will help but I took the ac belt off because the compressor is shot and doesn't work, could that have any effect on the cooling fans? I thought the ac belt just runs off the crank?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Teching In

So I hot wired the cooling fan with an on/off switch and it is keeping the engine temp cooler. But now the car is still bogging down and stalling like it was doing before The low coolant light is on but I know the coolant is full and the light doesn't come on everytime, its sporadic. Anyone have any ideas??? Im thinking maybe the computer is going??
Old 06-01-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check compression, plugs, wires, etc... If your lost I know it sux but its much better to just pay the money for diagnosis. Its not worth doing unless you can fix it right. Pcm's don't fail very often I would check the common stuff first.