Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud and Deep (outside car) muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud and Deep (outside car) muffler

Hello all,
Been doing a ton of research amongst your forum which I have found very informative for a new exhaust for my '76 Stingray. Although our engines are slightly different, I figured the opinions found here on mufflers would help quite a bit. Due to the fact that the mufflers I had been looking at came up multiple times on this forum, I figured I would create a thread.

I am considering the Dynomax Bullets or Borla Type S (Stinger) or XR-1 mufflers. Now, I have read just about every thread on this forum that came up on google, but came up with some conflicting opinions and was hoping to clarify it here.

My car has 1 7/8" primary longtube headers into 2.5" piping true dual. I also have QTP electric cutouts, which suck regarding seal and longevity of motor life. That is the main reason I want to change out the mufflers.

I am looking for a Loud, deep sounding muffler. The Dynomax and Borla Type S both seem to fit the ticket, however some have said the XR-1 is deep as well. After viewing many YouTube videos of each, the Bullets seem to be what I am after, but the Borla Type S sound like it as well (albeit on 03/04 Cobras.. haha). The XR-1 seems more raspy and throaty, but I am shooting in the dark as I have not heard them in person.

So please, without anyone saying "you just answered your own question", I would appreciate your honest opinion regardng what I am looking for.

Thanks a bunch and your opinons are much appreciated!
Old 06-15-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

dynomax is almost stock quiet on a camaro.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

Increasing the diameter of the 2.5 will be the ticket to a deeper tone. Even increasing to 3" - 4" bullets with reducers will help if you can stuff them in there. Just putting a 4" intermediate pipe in my car made a huge difference in the tone even back through my 3" catback. Any muffler with your current size will just be louder.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

get on ls1sounds.com

I find a catted GMMG (MadHammer) to be the deepest sounding exhaust.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Moroso spiral flows have a nice deep tone! Just installed one (my car does not have duals...yet) but disregard the "those are a major restriction" comments. I am happy with my setup until I can get duals under my car.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Single Chamber Flowmasters; the 10 series. Very deep and loud. True muscle car sound.