Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR and AIR

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EGR and AIR

So I have a 00 M6 Z28 Camaro and Im looking to buy headers for it pretty soon, my question is do you guys recommend getting headers without the EGR & AIR CRAP on them? It seems like such a pain in the *** to me to have to deal with and Im wondering is it really worth it? Any pros or cons to removing them?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Biggest issues people deal with is emissions and if you need to pass a visual. Most have at some point removed the AIR and EGR and saved weight and made room.

What I would advise if your ditching the systems do not get headers with the fitting if possible as in the past aftermarket headers with blocked off fittings do blow off due to weakness of the primary tube to emission fitting connection. Many people have ejected those things and required repairs afterwards.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd get them without, and have the AIR and EGR tuned out. If a shop is really being a pain with the visual for inspection, find another shop. With as many LS1s running around down there as there are, I'm sure a few folks know someone who will look the other way.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, depends on how strict emissions in your area is. I deleted the AIR system on my car when I did my headers, but I don't have a visual inspection.