Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up my 1st ls1& posting my first problem :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up my 1st ls1& posting my first problem :)

Sold my LT1 and picked up a 1998 SS, completely stock.

So here's the problem...when I'm driving the car normally and hit a pothole the car completely falls on it's face and the gauges/needles/cluster lights all go crazy for about a second or two then it'll go back to normal. and i think it resets the battery when this happens because the trip odometer resets to 0.

Also another scenario of this case...When i drove the car this morning and got on the freeway, i punched it in 1st and tried to take it close to redline, but once i got close the car fell on it's face again and everything that i explained earlier happened again but i didn't hit any potholes or any bumps. And I also have to add that this time when it happened and i shifted into 2nd, 3rd, etc. the car seemed to idle at about 2k rpm and would stay there, when i pullled up to a light it wouldn't go down, but once i started driving it for a few more blocks it eventually went down to normal idle.

The engine does shake a bit, it doesn't feel like it's missfiring though, the check engine would come on and off here and there but i haven't had a chance to scan it. the guy told me that it was because the car has no cats.

What do you guys think it could be? bad spark plugs/spark plug wires? coil packs? bad ground? Thanks.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Could be a couple things, it's for sure not a lack of cats though. Getting the codes is the first step.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

I agree with AwsmGy

Have the car scanned and let us know what codes are.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Tighten you battery cables (don't just jiggle them, get the wrench out and try to turn them)

Then tighten the grounds on the heads and check the wiring harness where it plugs to the pcm and report back.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check your battery cables. Had the same thing happen to me. 2 of the cables were frayed and make contact when accelerating.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

okay, i'll try my best to try to get it scanned, i dont own a scanner nor can i borrow one...my best bet is to drive till' the light comes on and hopefully make it to the shop before it trips and resets itself.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any auto parts store will scan the code for you,
Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
Any auto parts store will scan the code for you,
lol not here in good ol' Cali...Autozone used to be able to scan our cars, or at least let us rent them, but the last time i went in and tried to scan they said i had to buy a scanner. I assumed that went for O' Reillys too so i didn't bother asking. But i may be wrong
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

And about the car...when i drove home from work today i was rolling in 1st gear at 3k rpm then i gunned it and the car didn't break loose like i expected it to...and i know it's not my tires cause they're bald as ****. basically the car feels sluggish..my stock lt1 used to break loose at 2k rpm like nothing on good tires. is it just me??
Old 06-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Teching In

The intrument cluster might not be makeing full contact with all the pins. Cause whenever i reinstall mine after replaceing a bulb the needles will jump around for a sec before they settle down. try reinstalling it and see what happens.