Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I need a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will I need a tune?

This may sound like some one of a newbish question, but I tried using the search and didn't find anything. Will I need to get a tune after I get my cold air intake and underdrive pulley or should I just wait until I get my headers put on?

I have a list of mods that I want to do over the next few months sorted by priority (with reasoning), if anyone is interested I can post the list and you can tell me if my priority is off or if I should choose another brand for the job. Thanks everyone !
Old 07-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't spend the money on a tune after those 2 mods when you have more planned for the near future.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

Go ahead with the list...
Old 07-10-2011, 07:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

do your boltons and then get a tune
Old 07-10-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

have everything installed then get tuned.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Post up the list of future mods to get a complete opinion from us. Agreed with above... you should do all your bolt ons before doing the tune. Saves you money in the end.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would wait till I get all the bolt-ons done. Also if a cam is in the future I would wait til I got that done. I doubt I will get a tune after LT's just because I want to get a cam and don't want to pay for a tune twice. Well might go with a mail order tune from frost just to get rid of codes. Of course if the car runs like **** afterwards I will have to get one.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

I would finish doing what mods you have planned in the near future and see how the car runs and depending what else you have planned wait until you finish your mods to get a tune. You could also check around and see if any shops offer retunes at a discount or a bolt on tune for less then a more in depth tune.

For a UD pulley a tune wont do anything and for a cold air intake or lid it really won't matter all that much
Old 07-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'm not at my computer at the moment, but I'll post my list of planned mods in an hour. Heads and cam are not in the plans at the moment, as I'm trying to keep my budget under $5,000. Stay tuned for the list in an hour when I get home !
Old 07-14-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm waiting on a tune because I just put my headers on and I'll have an Ls6 intake on next week. If you're not planning on doing engine mods for a while go ahead and get a tune. If you're going to cam it in a month or so, your car will run with bolt ons fine.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Here it is (mod list over the next month or two, criticism welcome). In order of importance:

-C5 Brake Conversion Kit (Need brakes bad)

-SLP Air Lid & Smooth Bellow

-SLP Cold Air Intake

-ASP Underdrive Pulley

-Pacesetter Longtube Headers Armour Coated

-(Don't know what I should do about a Y-Pipe considering I have to pass emissions, someone help me out here)

-Richmond 3.73 Rear Axle Gears

-Trufiber Fiberglass SS hood (I'm not trying to imitate an SS, just like the look of the hood)

-RKSport SS Spoiler (See above)

-6LiterEater Customized Strut Tower Brace

Again, criticism is welcome, in fact, it's encouraged(as long as it's constructive ). Thanks again guys!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mustang Killer
Here it is (mod list over the next month or two, criticism welcome). In order of importance:

-C5 Brake Conversion Kit (Need brakes bad)

-SLP Air Lid & Smooth Bellow

-SLP Cold Air Intake

-ASP Underdrive Pulley

-Pacesetter Longtube Headers Armour Coated

-(Don't know what I should do about a Y-Pipe considering I have to pass emissions, someone help me out here)

-Richmond 3.73 Rear Axle Gears

-Trufiber Fiberglass SS hood (I'm not trying to imitate an SS, just like the look of the hood)

-RKSport SS Spoiler (See above)

-6LiterEater Customized Strut Tower Brace

Again, criticism is welcome, in fact, it's encouraged(as long as it's constructive ). Thanks again guys!
The Pacesetter Coated Headers are good and you can get a TSP catted Y for Emissions.

I like the SS stuff as well I just went through that debate and stayed stock cause I found a cheap one.

If you're going for looks w/ the STB then its fine but if you want handling out of a suspension mod you will feel better gains from Sub frame connectors. UMI or BMR or Midwest Chassis is supposed to have some good ones.

Everything else looks good man.

Just noticed you're from Smyrna. Not sure how strict they are w/ emissions there but in Sumner/Davidson, its just a visual and OBDII scan and our cars are so low you can't see the cats anyway. You can have the Rear o2's tuned out along with AIR and EGR to pass the OBDII. Its a small risk but if you have the extra money for the cats then dont worry about it.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
The Pacesetter Coated Headers are good and you can get a TSP catted Y for Emissions.

I like the SS stuff as well I just went through that debate and stayed stock cause I found a cheap one.

If you're going for looks w/ the STB then its fine but if you want handling out of a suspension mod you will feel better gains from Sub frame connectors. UMI or BMR or Midwest Chassis is supposed to have some good ones.

Everything else looks good man.

Just noticed you're from Smyrna. Not sure how strict they are w/ emissions there but in Sumner/Davidson, its just a visual and OBDII scan and our cars are so low you can't see the cats anyway. You can have the Rear o2's tuned out along with AIR and EGR to pass the OBDII. Its a small risk but if you have the extra money for the cats then dont worry about it.

Thanks man, I plan to get some subframe connectors down the road I'm just trying to focus on the bolt on basics at the moment then I'll move to suspension. And the STB is strictly for looks, I have something in mind .

Their pretty leniant with emissions here, but my exhaust will raise an eyebrow once I'm done with it. I may see if I can squeeze in some high flow cats into the budget. If not then I'll just have an exhaust shop fabricate me a straight through Y-Pipe. Keep the replies coming!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Bump for curiosity sake.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would do an SSRA or CHRIS 1313 instead of the SLP cold air intake as both of these have better dyno'ed numbers than the SLP. Just my 2 cents...