Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 T/A Exhaust (just a section of it)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 T/A Exhaust (just a section of it)

ok, I didnt see any threads on this, but everytime i look under my car, it makes me laugh. Why is the exhaust squished and flat on the driver side, then on the passenger side its normal and round. It looks like there is plenty of room for a 3 inch round pipe. I guess my main question is, it looks like it could be restricting airflow with it being flat, so i want to cut it off and put 3 inch round pipe there instead. Any thoughts?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Its like that for ground clearance.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason the pipe is crushed is for ground clearance and yes it does restrict airflow, I would just buy a aftermarket y pipe, if that is what you are talking about.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:34 AM
TECH Addict

On a stock car it probable wont make a difference so I wouldn't do it unless your bored and can do it yourself. And looks can be deceiving, sure it looks restrictive but as long as your running stock manifolds and cats there is only so much exhaust that is being produced. Meaning the bottleneck of the stock exhaust system is not that flat Y pipe. So I would just leave it and wait until you do headers. What other mods are done to your car?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
On a stock car it probable wont make a difference so I wouldn't do it unless your bored and can do it yourself. And looks can be deceiving, sure it looks restrictive but as long as your running stock manifolds and cats there is only so much exhaust that is being produced. Meaning the bottleneck of the stock exhaust system is not that flat Y pipe. So I would just leave it and wait until you do headers. What other mods are done to your car?
Nothing yet, I have a slp lid on the way. Planned on doing a e-cutout, and possibly intake manifold.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't worry about it until you do headers and just get the matching y-pipe.