Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken intake bolt in head. HELP!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Broken intake bolt in head. HELP!

Ok, so I’m pretty much an idiot and after telling myself numerous time not to over tighten the intake manifold bolts I did just that and snapped the third from front to back on the passenger side. It is barely flush with the surface if not below so the old welding a nut or wrench is a no go unfortunately. Is this going to be possible to get out without removing the head? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
-Jason
Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bolt out kit if you can fit it
Old 07-21-2011, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

Man I did the same thing on my driver side head. I could not for the life of me find a drill or anything that could fit under the cowl and still get a good angle on the head. And that damn bolt requires some force to get through with an easy out.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Teching In

maybe a right angle drill and a reverse drill bit... (not sure if even that will fit just a suggestion) good luck
Old 07-21-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

right angle drill head and a cut down and resharpened drill bit. So amazed at the number of broken bolt threads I've seen lately. Everybody been eating their Wheaties ?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
So amazed at the number of broken bolt threads I've seen lately. Everybody been eating their Wheaties ?
Not using a torque wrench would be my guess. Next to a balancer installer, accurate torque wrenches are the best money you'll ever spend when working on an LS engine.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Same thing happened to me but it was the last bolt on passenger side. I couldn't get anything under the fowl. Head had to be removed.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

remember now that bolt has no torque on it. i have tried and removed small bolts with nothing but a small hardened tip screw driver hammer a grove in it with said screwdriver. use some penetrating oil on it, disimilar metals anything before drill or pulling head. try it you might get lucky, good luck!!
Old 07-21-2011, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Dont worry about it iv done that once on my old 98z. Didnt even feel all that tight when it snapped. I took a 1/16 bit and drilled a little hole in the bolt and bought one of those bolt extractors. Backed it out nice. Just be careful and drill a nice hole and dont go sideways. You also wanna be careful to not get the metal shavings in the intake ports.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke one too. But I have a corvette so getting it out was eeeasy! Sorry for your luck. I hope you can get it out without removing the head.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:48 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help guys! I actually ended up getting it out without using an easy out. I let it soak in wd-40 over night and most of the day and when I was trying to punch it to start the drilling/easy out process I noticed that it slightly moved (rotated). After seeing this I realized that it wasn’t bottomed out and was basically moving freely within the head and the wd-40 made it pretty lubricated so I took the smallest flat head screwdriver I had and patiently tapped it over and over again, it took over an hour, until I got it enough above the surface to get a good grip on it with some pliers and got the sucker out. I was pretty excited when it came out to say the least since I was preparing my self to having to pull the head and cart it over to a machine shop. Thanks again for the speedy and good advice guys.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

always remember if their not bottomed when they break .. no torque..glad the screwdriver worked for you. can we blanket and say " foreign cars are like tampons, every ***** has one!"
Old 07-23-2011, 01:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
always remember if their not bottomed when they break .. no torque..glad the screwdriver worked for you. can we blanket and say " foreign cars are like tampons, every ***** has one!"
The Honda thing is more directed to a certain crowd since there are some foreign cars that are pretty bad *** and don’t have d-bag owners lol. That’s why I stick with the Honda thing but I do see your point
Old 07-23-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
always remember if their not bottomed when they break .. no torque...
Unless they break 'cause they've been cross-threaded...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken intake bolt in head. HELP!