Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Cam Position Sensor Code

Old 08-02-2011, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Cam Position Sensor Code

I'm not very experienced with wiring or troubleshooting this stuff so hopefully someone on here can provided a bit of experienced help.

I had my car's service engine light code ran and was told I have a Cam Position Sensor issue.

The history of the problem is this. Shortly after doing a long tube header install (without o2 extensions) I began have occasional hard starts (sometimes it woud take an attempt or two to crank over) but would then run fine. Being a newb, I figured this was probably just do to a need for a tune after the headers. I then had a cam installed and dyno tune. After the dyno tune the tuner told me about the code. I would have been worried about the reluctor wheel on the cam itself, but as mentioned the problem began almost immediately after the header install.

My thought is that the slight tugging on the wiring harness to get the o2 sensors to fit without extensions may have caused the problem. Behind the magnuson supercharger I can get my hand to the sensor connector and can feel that the wiring is faily tought but not streched or torn.

My understanding with this code is that the problem could be the cam reluctor, Cam Position sensor, wiring to the PCM from the sensor, or the PCM itself. Does anybody know how to troubleshoot which would be the problem or how to go about a fix???

I'd hate to go through the trouble of taking off the supercharger (maggie) to replace the sensor and then put her back together just to find out it wasn't the sensor itself and then have to take it to the shop. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I know you have a cam sensor code.....but the symptoms you have are a failing Crank Shaft Position sensor. Usually a failing Cam sensor causes rough running, spitting, backfiring.....because of how it messes with the fuel and spark delivery.

Do a little more checking....

Its very easy to try a new Crank Shaft sensor to weed that out.........you can return it if it doesn't help. Just clean it real good and tell them it doesn't fit because someone modded it for a different sensor. It works every time.

If it does turn out to be the Cam Sensor, I have a new AC Delco one here I'll sell you for $50.00 in the AC Delco box with all the paperwork. I slid it in, put the intake back on, started my engine, then took it out and put it back in the box. Because my sensor that was in there was fine, so I kept this one for a spare for the future.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input. I'll check into that as well.

Anybody else have ideas???
Old 08-22-2011, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Looks like it may have been a bad connector, we'll see in just a few days.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default cam pos sensor

Well what was problem?????
Old 09-24-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

What do you mean a bad connector?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice