Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y pipe for eBay headers ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Y pipe for eBay headers ??

What kind of y pipe are you guys using with eBay headers or is everybody making custom ones ??
Old 08-08-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

also interested...torn between ebay stainless steel and pacesetters from texasspeed...
I AM on a pretty tight budget for my mods, dont want to put more than $3k into the car to push 375ish after the tune.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headers on eBay are copies of Hooker headers (also similar to Jet Hot headers) so their Y-pipe should fit. The problem is that Hooker's Y-pipe has a terrible merge on it. Some people have had success with TSP's Y-pipe, others have had to modify it to fit.

I'm trying to make a decision on which Y-pipe to buy as well... I've got eBay headers sitting in the garage right now.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

yeah i was pretty confident thinking about going with TSP's...just because. i dont know why.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Launching!

I used a pacesetter ory, but i hacked it up alittle cause i am running some spun cats right off my collectors... So i wacked off about 10"s or so to each side of the front of the y-pipe.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Launching!

custom x pipe all day. thats what i did but i like to be different since ORY's and cutouts seem to be coming back into style. honestly itll save alot of bs and guess work (and money if you have the hook up like this guy) to just have a custom y pipe made. that way you can supervise the fitment and clearance and all that jazz.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

I have a pacesetter y pipe/dynomax bullet, both brand new in box that I'm looking to get rid of, say $150 shipped and all you'd need afterwards is a turndown or catback. Cheap, easy, and it'll sound nasty lol.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:25 AM
Launching!

hes right bullets sound nasty i mean who doesnt love glasspacks bahahahahahahaha

ps im totally being sarcastic bullets are gross
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

custom if you can get. also include flow master merge. helps alot with rasp and flow. good luck.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

Texas Speed ORY here. Did not have to modify anything. Fits nice and tight. I planned on having an exhaust shop fit the y-pipe but when I started to test fit it everything fell into place so I clamped it and stitch welded it in a few places. It's worked fine for about 2 weeks now. I did motor mounts at the same time and would recommend anyone else replacing headers do them as well. Mine were badddddd. With that being said I don’t have any y-pipe banging the floorboard problems. The sound is killer. With the cutout open it sounds like a stock car and with it closed and the exhaust going thru the factory muffler it sounds so clean and smooth yet considerably more aggressive without cats. I'm not going to change the catback to an aftermarket one after hearing the sound. I think its perfect having the ability to go from loud as hell to slightly louder than stock.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

does anybody have a guess on what a custom x will cost from an exhaust shop? If we dont have a hookup?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Canbarelygo
hes right bullets sound nasty i mean who doesnt love glasspacks bahahahahahahaha

ps im totally being sarcastic bullets are gross
Not everyone's a pretty boy, but opinions are ******** lol.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Launching!

X-pipe and true duals are the way to go, I love my new setup no rasp at all. All i did was get a 2.5" universal jegs x-pipe kit along with the same spun cats i used with my y-pipe setup and some dynomax bullets dumped right before the rear axle. Its a belly dragger for sure but i am lowered, stock springs are going back under the rear which will help out alittle bit.

If you would still like to use a y-pipe and cat back i suggest running cats right off the collectors they help with the rasp, it wont be all gone but they do help. I was also able to pass emissions that way i doubt my new setup will pass due to my car being a head, cam and nitrous car.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Launching!

well i had to go to a different shop so i didnt get a hookup on my xpipe however it was still very cheap. they built it very professionally they did an amazing job on clearance and building it. the built it specific for my car on the spot in 45 minutes and it was only 225 for it to get built, installed, and for the 2 band clamps. and in reality i think the xpipe sounds miles better than any ORY idk why theyre catching back on because ive never personally heard an ORY sound i was pleased with. in my opinion my vote stays xpipe for the simple fact of you dont have to worry about rasp at all and it sounds 10x tougher than any ORY ive ever heard
Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 AM
TECH Regular

so $225 built+installed is pretty fair, the $450 price tag on the tsp duals is kinda scary to me.
SO what did they do about cats? i bought my 98 z28 about a month ago now, i guess the guy only had a lid and catback on it, i am now considering a couple options for my exhaust...budget is kinda an issue, im trying to make the most for the least, as im 19, working the typical minimum wage, full time school life.
1-Ebay 1-3/4" stainless steel, with the jegs universal duals or a custom x (im trying to stay away from them, because i just dont trust ebay), also i loose my catback right?
2-Pacesetters 1-3/4" ceramic coated with TSP Ypipe, (can keep my cat back and not deal with it right?)
3-TSP 1-7/8" with TSP true duals...expensive...dont want to spend this much money on exhaust only.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:07 AM
Launching!

ive got the ebay stainless headers so i think totals ive got 400 bucks in exhaust. my car didnt have cats when i got it so of course i didnt put any on and here in oklahoma we dont have to anyway. and i feel ya i was a junior in highschool with no job i had to do odd jobs for cash lol and now im 18 with a job so yay money. with an xpipe or duals you will lose your catback yes but it sounds better i promise lol if your that attached just keep it around for something else or to sell and make some moolah back.

as far as cheapest i say ebay and shop around places near you and see what they would charge for a custom x or y or somthing.

as far as the best you could do id say if you have the money to go tsp id get the 1 7/8 headers and id still have a shop build you something.

this is my car with the no mufflers and honestly its loud at WOT kinda like bullets but not as glasspack-ish as them but its quiet as hell while im puttin around town its kinda wierd. im obviously the fbody with HID's in the far lane raping the gbody. and the video doesnt do it justice its loud lol

http://youtu.be/375VcW6lbGM

then this 2nd one is a fly by at wot again im with the bright *** HID's

http://youtu.be/D6OS9eKMOxw

Last edited by Canbarelygo; 08-09-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a TSP true dual system on mine. It damn near bolted right up.

Quick Reply: Y pipe for eBay headers ??