Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator problems / questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator problems / questions

I have a Miata with 2000 TransAm LS1 installed. Last night the car cut out on me (no electrical power at all except for the headlights). I found the main fuse was blown. I think what happened was the main power wire going to (coming from) the alternator melted across my exhaust and shorted out. With the main fuse pulled I still have 12V across the fuse leads. If I pull my Alternator wire (the main one hooked on with a nut) the 12V goes away. I believe this means my alt got toasted when the short occurred. A few questions:

1) Does this sound like a plausible explanation?

2) I've heard the alternator will have diodes in it that burn up and cause this problem. True?

3) What kind of Alternator do I have? I'd like to order a rebuild kit (with diodes) and I can probably get a better deal if I could search for "1085 Alternator" (or whatever GM number it would be) instead of 2000 Trans Am alternator.

4) Anyone here rebuilt one before? Anyone here have a place with good prices on the kit? Anything else I should do to the alt when I have it out?

I'm trying to sell the car so I am not super interested in spending $500 on the latest and greatest super high amp gold plated alternator. I just want to get the car running again. Thanks!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the alternatorman on u tube sells parts.......chek him out
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Teching In

Finally got some days off work and pulled the alternator last night. Ran it up to Advance Auto and they put it on the machine. Guess what - the rectifier tested good. I've never been more disappointed that I had something not broken. Not sure where to go from here. It just HAS to be the rectifier. I don't get it.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i dont trust those testers
Old 09-07-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rmcelwee
I have a Miata with 2000 TransAm LS1 installed. Last night the car cut out on me (no electrical power at all except for the headlights). I found the main fuse was blown. I think what happened was the main power wire going to (coming from) the alternator melted across my exhaust and shorted out. With the main fuse pulled I still have 12V across the fuse leads. If I pull my Alternator wire (the main one hooked on with a nut) the 12V goes away. I believe this means my alt got toasted when the short occurred. A few questions:

1) Does this sound like a plausible explanation?

2) I've heard the alternator will have diodes in it that burn up and cause this problem. True?

3) What kind of Alternator do I have? I'd like to order a rebuild kit (with diodes) and I can probably get a better deal if I could search for "1085 Alternator" (or whatever GM number it would be) instead of 2000 Trans Am alternator.

4) Anyone here rebuilt one before? Anyone here have a place with good prices on the kit? Anything else I should do to the alt when I have it out?

I'm trying to sell the car so I am not super interested in spending $500 on the latest and greatest super high amp gold plated alternator. I just want to get the car running again. Thanks!!!

Have you seen the huge thread in here about "fix to endless alternator whoes"? Anyway, if just get a replacement from a salvage yard, either stock LS1 or the truck 145 amp alternator that many of us have swapped to (see noted thread). These can be had for $40-$80 buck depending. Also, bad alternators can test good.