Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAP sensor...has a breather hose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MAP sensor...has a breather hose?

I bought a vette that used to be set up as an 800hp supercharged vette (top end was stripped and turned into a cammed NA engine), and I'm trying to fix my idling problem,but I dont know for sure how exactly the MAP sensor is supposed to be set up. I found out the MAP had a loose wire and it wouldnt let my engine idle at all...had to hold down the pedal to keep it running. It was just dumping massive amounts of fuel into the engine.

After fixing the broken wire... the idle is very high, almost 2k sometimes but after coming to a stop the idle kicks down to about 900 after a second.

I put my hand behind the intake trying to feel around for hoses connected back there...and i found a small about 1/4" diameter hose about 4 inches long hanging there not connected to anything. I cant seem to find any information that helps me out...can anyone help me understand what hoses need to be connected to the MAP?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

None. The MAP sensor connects into the intake manifold, that's it. The hose in question may have been used for a boost sensor when it was supercharged. Just plug it. It is causing a vacuum leak that is likely the source of the high idle issue.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First... if it's leaking, of course, fix the leak.

Second, that hose leading up to the MAP sensor creates a column of air that acts like a buffer zone between the intake and the MAP sensor. It prevents the MAP from being overly sensitive to changes in vacuum/boost pressure in the intake, allowing it to maintain a more steady reading for the PCM. This tends to help with lumpy cams and supercharged applications, particularly when the engine is under high load (such as idling through heavy traffic with the AC running and the cooling fans on at high speed). It's a trick a master technician showed me for my LS6. I was having problems with the engine stalling in traffic w/AC running. Once I fabbed up an extension, that fixed the problem.

-R

Quick Reply: MAP sensor...has a breather hose?