Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on QTP E-cutout install...

Old 09-06-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions on QTP E-cutout install...

I'm pretty psyched, I just picked up a used Magnaflow catback with a QTP 3" E-cutut already installed.

I want to install this stuff tomorrow, the catback looks easy enough, but I'm fairly retarded when it comes to anything electrical.

The guy I bought it from gave me a few pointers, but I want to make sure I get it right.

Starting from the rear, I can run the wires through the plug under the rear pass seat area, then under the carpet and into the center console, correct?

As far as powering it up, he advised me not to use the lighter, since that's always live. He advised I plug it into the fuse box.

So I can buy a "add a circuit" that plugs into a unused space in the fuse box on the drivers side of the dash and power it from that?

Once I do that, I use the wire from that to power the switch, then ground the wire from the switch to metal somewhere (he advise a sheet metal screw through a ring terminal to the steel under the dash).

Also, I don't like the switch that came with the cutout, it's this huge toggle switch. I was looking at Autozone, they have some nice toggles that are smaller and will look cleaner installed. I noticed they have 3 terminals on the back of them, while there's like 6 wires connected to the back of my QTP switch. What's the deal with that?

Can I replace the toggle, or am I stuck with the QTP one?

And if anyone knows of a writeup or post with pics, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine run to the lighter with no ill effects. Splice power off it, and ground to a bolt under the console.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I got a slick black rocker that goes both ways on-off-on, functioning like a window switch. Pick up a momentary switch like this of your choice and 2 standard 30 amp automotive relays and I will tell you how to wire it. It will be wired as a reverse rest on ground circuit. That is very common in the automotive world for window circuits. Since you will be powering the motor one way or another just like a window motor. Remember the switch must rock both ways and then spring back and rest in the center.

This is the switch I used for my cutout:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=060-780

This is the relays you need
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-073
Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

I also have something similar as to what 01ss posted, but it is a convertable top rocker switch. Have it placed in the stock location on the console, looks oem.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I got a slick black rocker that goes both ways on-off-on, functioning like a window switch. Pick up a momentary switch like this of your choice and 2 standard 30 amp automotive relays and I will tell you how to wire it. It will be wired as a reverse rest on ground circuit. That is very common in the automotive world for window circuits. Since you will be powering the motor one way or another just like a window motor. Remember the switch must rock both ways and then spring back and rest in the center.

This is the switch I used for my cutout:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=060-780

This is the relays you need
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-073
Thanks for the info! That's exactly the kind of switch I was looking at.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Here's mine mounted. I picked this spot because it is close to the driver and there was already a hole drilled there by the previous owner. I made the hole bigger for the switch to fit.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how I wired mine:

(Note: the middle two prongs are for your positive & ground wires. Not shown in this pic.)

Spliced into the cig. lighter for power, and grounded to a piece of sheetmetal under the shifter.

A cleaner & easier option would be QTPs wireless cutout "transmitter," for $79. Not a bad option, really.
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/Wireless/index.php.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys.

I like the sound of that convertible switch install Jay-P, that's a good idea, it must look super clean.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Ya it looks great. It is like this but minus the guage lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where is the rear seat plug exactly? is it under the carpet? im trying to run it now and took the rear seat off and i dont see exactly where im supposed to run the wires. Im a real noob with these cars but usually mechanically inclined to get stuff installed. I am working in a garage with crappy light right now due to house renovaions...but i would still like to get this installed asap...any help? pictures would be awesome!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

It is located right under the passenger side lower seat cushion. You'll need to cut the carpet to locate it, i did an x cut. Look under the car and you'll see it, it is right beside the i-pipe.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks I found it right after I posted...thanks though!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions on QTP E-cutout install...