Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Question Power steering question

Just replaced my original PS pump with Cardone rebuild, as well as the pressure line. I replaced it because it was leaking. An interesting note is that when I removed the reservoir from the old pump, the leak seemed to come from the o-ring between the reservoir and pump.
I then went through the process of bleeding the system.

1 - filled reservoir with PS fluid, prestone. Didn't have enough so then added some NAPA power steering fluid (it's blue).

2 - lifted front wheels off the ground, and turned wheels back and forth about 20 times, making sure to hit the stop each time. I noted that I didn't need to add very much fluid.

3 - I stared the engine, with the wheels still up in the air, and did the same thing, turning the wheel back and forth a number of times. I noted that the steering wheel was pulsing as I was turning it, and that eventually went away. Noted that I didn't need to add any additional fluid (cap was off all the time). Pump was noisy, but that went away.

4 - let the engine sit overnight, with the cap still off to allow any more air to bleed.

5 - This morning, checked the fluid level and it's still the same. Started the car and the pump was whining. Move the car forward and backwards while turning the wheel stop to stop, and I felt it pulsing on several occasions. Would whine from time to time, but not consistently. One thing I noted here is that the fluid was very hot (couldn't hod my hand on the reservoir). I only had the car running for less than 5 minutes. I was getting power assist, but not consistently. It was working fine before I swapped out the pump (thinking that the rack was working fine before the swap).

6. Shut it off, and the fluid level hasn't changed.

Here's the questions. I've used two different brand of regular power steering fluid. Is that a problem? I did not flush the rack. Is that a problem?

Why is the fluid getting so hot? I'm guessing that I still have air in there and have to start the bleeding process over again with the wheels up in the air. Any additional thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About all I can answer is that I had a PS fluid leak that was pretty slow, but I have used prolly 3 different kinds of fluid. Finally I used some Lucas and no leaks since. I don't think mixing brands would hurt much.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in those O'reillys brand and Autozone parts. I've had better luck with O'reillys, but I went through 2 water pumps in about 4 days on my wifes Jeep. Seen fuel pumps go out from Autozone numerous times. Also I had to replace a PS pump one time on a Grand Cherokee. I think I bought a mastercraft from O'reillys and it was loud, I mean louder than old Ford truck power steering pump. It also made the steering notchy feeling. I think you should prolly take it back and get another one. See whats available at rockauto or gmpartsdirect.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The replacement is a Cardone from Rock Auto. I'm going to check the hose connections to the rack because I may have tightened them too much and maybe crushing the tip. It doesn't make sense that that would be the problem because I do get assist, just not
consistently. The fluid getting so hot is one of my concerns, as well as the fact that I didn't have to add fluid during the bleeding process.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might have better luck posting this in the general maintenance section.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1WS6dreamer,

thanks for the advice. Will do
Old 09-17-2011, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try a power steering cooler to help with some of the overheating issues. They work well and help the whining, overheating and keep fluid from boiling out the reservoir. Hope you get ur issues fixed.