Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another ORY with manifolds question?? just a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ORY with manifolds question?? just a little advice

Hey guys had some questions about the ory's with stock manis. I have seen 5 or 6 other threads about this, but my situation is a little different. I do not plan on ever doing headers and ory or duals, i picked up a 98 trans am for a good price and cannot justify spending nearly 2 grand for headers (headers,piping, install, tune). I feel like ide rather get body work done and get er repainted or use that money towards a motor or tranny build (wen necessary of course). However, I do want to open up the exhaust a little bit (sound wise). The previous owner replaced one of that cats with a universal and left the driver's side stock on. They just don't sound good (rattling coming from one of the cats) and I want a little louder anyways. Considering all this, you guys think an ory would be worth it for stock manis, and maybe I make a little money from selling the cats? Also a concern for me is mpg, its never really bothered me that much, but I would just like to see the mpgs NOT go down any more than the ls1 gets already. Let me know your guys advice, not really looking for a whole lot of performance from this mod, if a get a little so cool, but just want louder. PS: I don't really mind the rasp so much with a v8, now with a v6 its completely different.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

There is no ORY that will bolt up to just the manifolds. SLP just makes an aftermarket Y pipe that bolts up to the stock cats. Going with a longtube/ORY combo will be your best bet, and it won't cost you 2 grand either; lots of cheap options like BBK and comes with everything you need. You wont lose any mpg by doing a header install, hell with a tune you might gain a couple; doing headers is a free mod, it puts no extra strain on the engine and makes life easier on it
Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

I paid 300 bucks for my stainless steel lpp headers and ory and I had a buddy install them for almost nothing. I've always had good luck buying used parts.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are a few orys that will bolt up to your stock manifolds. when purchasing, make sure you find one that is 98-2000 specific. the passenger side 01+ manifold exits in a different place and makes the Y for the earlier years useless unless it is modified.

i believe that mac and bassani both make ORYs for stock manifolds. i have a mac ory on my 99 car and it really didn't make it much louder. believe it or not, the factory y and cats aren't very restrictive, the restriction is in the manifolds.

after buying the y (used) and selling the cats i made about $100. if i had it to do over i would've left the stock **** on it. the car is lowered and the aftermarket (larger) mac ory will sometimes drag.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Not even near $2K man, you could get all of that installed for less than $800 easy. and if you do ever plan to do anything to the motor....anything...it will be pointless without having a nice flowing exhaust system
Old 09-17-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You may be able to find the Bassani, or you can use a SLP Y with the
Mufflex tubes. Don't expect to gain a whole lot from it. When the cats
were on I gained absolutely nothing at the track from the stock to SLP
Y swap. Everybody boo-hoo-hoos about the crushed area in the stock
pipe but there's way worse chokes than that in the lineup. Like your
cats and your muffler and your skinny Z/28 exit pipes.

Open up the exhaust all you want and you're still pretty limited by the
stock cam, for exhaust breathing.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for all the input and responses, yeah i really wish I had the money to throw at lts and a true dual system. my 383 lt1 had lts but i bought it that way, I don't think i'de want to attempt (yet) put on lts and/or have the time to do it. However, i figured if i can grab a used ory pipe, hopefully find a mac one (they look the best and easiest to install), i could throw it on in a hr or two depending on how bad my flange bolts are with rust. I saw a guys vid on youtube of a guy's 00 ws6 (same manis as mine) stock with a ory pipe and it sounded almost exactly what I'm after.

What about the mpg guys? If I don't do 02 sims or a tune will i lose any mpg?

Like i said not necessarily after gaining a whole lot of performance from this mod, just want a little sound increase and don't want to lose mpg.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

i'd say i lost close to 3 mpg by adding the ory. the car consistently got 25-26 mixed before and after it was getting 18ish. adding the ory made my cruise/part-throttle afr go rich, cruising was 13.0-13.5 and some of the part-throttle stuff was in the 12s. wot was 12.6, which i thought was a little rich, but nothing crazy.

we leaned out the cruise/part-throttle and left wot alone, it is getting 24 on a good day now, solid 23 otherwise. i think it would do much better on the highway as i have 18 miles of stop and go to get to work. i also removed air/egr when i did this so maybe that has something to do with it as well.

good luck. my advice, after being there and doing it all: leave it alone until you can do long tubes and an ory. no gain with regards to efficiency, makes the vehicle louder (with no gain...), and smells bad on top of that (for no gain as well). it also cut down what little clearance i had, which sucks.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input, yeah I don't plan on doing headers (unless I found a ridiculous deal for headers and ory for like 100 lol) or lowering the car. Also don't plan on doing an air or egr delete, so hopefully if I lose anything it'll be like 1 mpg. Ide rather get car repainted or have tranny rebuilt before I go and do headers. Also would rather have a motor fresh before that too, i don't see any point in headers if the tranny and motor aren't in perfect shape, which I know mine aren't (car hass 133k with no rebuilds, but maintenance has been done regularly)

Quick Reply: Another ORY with manifolds question?? just a little advice