Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disconnect Battery when putting on SLP Lid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Disconnect Battery when putting on SLP Lid?

I know the instructions say to do this, but is it necessary? Also, if I do disconnect the battery, would just diconnecting the black (negative) be ok, or should I disconnect both negative and positive?
Old 09-22-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really....?
Old 09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The purpose is to reset the computer to relearn the A/F settings. It will do this over time anyway, but disconnecting the battery will speed up the process. After the computer relearns the settings, you will be back to square one since it will do its best to match the A/F curve programmed in the computer. In other words, without a tune a CAI doesn't do much at all.

The best that you could hope for long term is slightly improved mpg (assuming the lid is the point of restriction) and slightly better throttle response.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my general understanding of all modern engines.

And disconnecting the negative battery will do the trick.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ You're right, all those bolt on non-tuned LS1s that dyno 30+rwhp higher than stock and trap several mph higher are all lies.

I just put in LT's, ported TB, and a lid (plus new plugs/wires over the ORIGINALS and all that jazz) but I bet I didn't gain any power, what a waste of time!

This thread shall be epic.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

In other words, without a tune a CAI doesn't do much at all.
Sure it can, it removes a restriction and allows for more air to enter the combustion chamber. Part throttle the o2 sensors will learn the new airflow and adjust fueling if necessary. At WOT the extra airflow will not be learned without a tune, but it's not nearly enough of a change to not make it worth more power. Also, the stock tune is rather rich at WOT, so this helps lean it out which is known to add power.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by happysem
^^ You're right, all those bolt on non-tuned LS1s that dyno 30+rwhp higher than stock and trap several mph higher are all lies.

I just put in LT's, ported TB, and a lid (plus new plugs/wires over the ORIGINALS and all that jazz) but I bet I didn't gain any power, what a waste of time!

This thread shall be epic.
Yeah I just got done with LT's. Apparently, my computer hasn't reset itself back to OEM settings yet. Still got "sideways on demand"... I do kinda see what stingrayj is saying and to a certain extent I would prolly bet that its true, but numbers and track times don't lie!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
Yeah I just got done with LT's. Apparently, my computer hasn't reset itself back to OEM settings yet. Still got "sideways on demand"... I do kinda see what stingrayj is saying and to a certain extent I would prolly bet that its true, but numbers and track times don't lie!
My comments were in consideration of a lid only.

LTs will address a significant point of restriction, so you will notice improvement without a tune. However, a lid alone can only do so much. In either case, just bolting stuff on is only the first step. You won't realize the full potential of those parts until you get a proper tune. And I say that based on past experience.

A lid by itself may show some improvement in the 1/4 mile but you're not going to notice much on your daily commute. I'm not saying don't get a lid, rather it is just one piece of the bigger picture. With that said, I plan to get a lid in the near future for my car.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got long tubes and a true dual exhaust put on a few weeks ago, and I'm going to put the SLP lid and new fliter on tonight. I'm going to get a tune once I get the lid on, but I can already tell a difference with just the long tubes and exhaust.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, I agree with you they will finish "unlocking" the potential of each mod.

I thought you meant bolt ons did nothing until you were tuned lol.

Quick Reply: Disconnect Battery when putting on SLP Lid?