Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat Replacement - Ran into a little problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat Replacement - Ran into a little problem

I am in the process of installing a new driver's side catalytic converter on my 2001 LS1 Camaro. As has been the case with everything on the car so far, this has turned out to be harder than it should have been.

There are 3 bolts that connect the inlet side of the catalytic converter to the exhaust manifold and 2 bolts that connect the outlet side of the catalytic converter to the downstream side of the exhaust. 5 bolts, right? Well, while removing the old catalytic converter exactly 5 bolts snapped in half. All of them. I took the time to start soaking the bolts in PB Blaster last night and gave them another shot when I woke up this morning. Still snapped them all.

For the outlet side, no biggie. The remaining pieces are in the cat itself, which is being replaced.

However on the exhaust manifold flange I now have three little half-bolts poking out.

I am trying to think of a way to get these out. I was thinking of trying to drill these out but I don't think I can get my drill in there...

Anyone have any neat tricks I can apply to get this out?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the manifold off and either heat them or drill them. Don't mess around in the car you will just waste time.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

join the club. i didnt care tho, i had lts and ory instead, follow the above advise and get new bolt/nuts replacement.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Hmmm... Remove the manifold - I was afraid someone was going to say that.

I am starting to think that I am in one of those situations where I am told the correct thing (remove the manifold) but I will stubbornly waste time eventually come around to this.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Removed the manifold. PB Blaster, nothing. Heat, nothing. Inferno, nothing. Tried an E-Z out. Broke it.

Fail.

I have owned this car for 15 days. I hate it already.

WTB: Stock driver's side exhaust manifold for 01-02 LS1 Camaro
Old 09-25-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't hate the car. This is all part of the fun of owning a vehicle. Just be glad you aren't having to do this to a Toyota Camry or some other "Cookie-Cutter" POS out there. You should feel privileged to get to work on your Muscle Car. Once the job is complete, you will feel a sense of satisfaction that you took something that wasn't functioning properly and got it working again.

And if you want my opinion, this is the perfect opportunity to upgrade to some Longtube Headers and an Aftermarket Y-pipe. Then you could throw the Manifold with the busted studs in the dumpster and never look back.

Or, if you feel you must fix the Manifold, get some cobalt tipped drill bits, drill out the studs left in the Flange, run a tap thru them to re-thread the holes and put the whole thing back together.

Whatever you choose, good luck.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

sounds like the perfect time to install some LT's! Once the LT's are on, that hatred will turn to love
Old 09-25-2011, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

yea grab up some used Lt's and slap on a catted y
Old 09-25-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine broke too, just stick it in a vice and drill them out or........... Take it to a muffler shop, you will have to pay but let them hassle with it.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Teching In

I told my daugher to pour the gas can for the lawnmower on the car and light a match. She just got her license so she wouldn't do it. I hate this car. I already replaced the $%^&ing rear end on it and I've had it for only 2 weeks. This is my 6th f-body. I am not a babe in the woods - this one is nothing but trouble.

I have no interest in headers. I just want a car that gets decent highway mileage that is fun to drive. What a mistake this car has been.

If I want to have fun, I'll take my stock car to the track. That was the whole point of this car - to save me some money and time so that I could focus on that. All of my racing money is going to this POS and my stock car is still on jackstands, broken because I am spending all of my time and money on this car.

Seriously, looking for a driver's side LS1 stock exhaust manifold. I just need to get to work and sell my current daily driver. The insurance on 3 cars is KILLING me. I can't sell my current daily driver until this piece of junk runs.

Anyone?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Ebay or here in the parts section.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:25 AM
Teching In

I will start to check the for sale lists here and ebay. I tried to post a WTB here but I guess I don't have enough posts yet...

I already ordered everything to finish this next weekend, except the manifold itself. I found a NIB GM manifold but I really don't want to spend that much.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

take it to Midas let them fix it.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KeithO
I will start to check the for sale lists here and ebay. I tried to post a WTB here but I guess I don't have enough posts yet...

I already ordered everything to finish this next weekend, except the manifold itself. I found a NIB GM manifold but I really don't want to spend that much.
someone here had a set of shorty headers (basically stock) manifolds for $100 and idk about shipping, you should investigate.
Im sorry for the grief this vehicle has caused you, im sure it will come around despite the pain and suffering. Just dont give up on it and take a loss selling it.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KeithO
This is my 6th f-body.
hahaha i felt bad for you until i read that. you should've known better.

the exact same thing happened to me. with everything on the car; i was able to drill out all 3 bolts on the passenger side manifold and install bolts/nuts. the driver's side...i could only get 2 drilled out, the 3rd one was behind the kmember and i couldn't get the drill straight on it, so i left it alone. i bolted the other 2 together with bolts/nuts and surprisingly it did not leak.

i eventually pulled both manifolds, found another set and made everything right. did plugs wires etc while i was there. you will not remove those broken bolts out of the manifold. drilling through them is your only option.

i feel you on the headers thing. this car is on sportline springs and is way too low for any kind of header/ypipe setup, so i left the manifolds on it. look in the classifieds, i'm sure someone has a set of manifolds for sale.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can wait around 2 weeks ill have mine off lol
Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 AM
Teching In

FWIW, I ordered a new "brand-x" manifold from an eBay store yesterday. I hope it fits OK. According to UPS.com, it should be on my front porch on Thursday. I also ordered new plugs, plug wires, a new gasket and a new front O2 sensor for the install from Summit. That stuff will be on my front porch tomorrow. I hope to get everything back together Saturday in between my family commitments. My weekends are very tight for the next 3-4 weeks and this week is going to be a 60-70 hour work week so I need to find the time to get this done.

I hope this is the last project for a while on this car.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1121
take it to Midas let them fix it.
I seriously considered this but I will be working until 8pm or later every night this week. This really limits my options. I could ask my wife to do this but I learned that asking her to deal with my "car stuff" is a bad idea. So I am stuck clicking "Buy" on the Internet and dealing with it.

Time is not on my side.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

eekbay has a few. One pair at $100 and a left only at $100.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Of course, if you break a manifold to head bolt, I'm certain that gallon of gas will see use.

An exhaust shop can burn in new studs quicker than you can tell your wife where to go to get it done.

Quick Reply: Cat Replacement - Ran into a little problem