Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

longtube question.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longtube question.

New to the LS1 scene.. just gonna shoot out some questions..

- do you have to drop k member to install longtubes.. (98 z28)
- are they mostly 1 piece or 2 on drivers side?
- so I know what EGR us, but I dont know what AIR is.. Never heard of it on my old mustang.
- do any particular brands hang STUPID LOW. My car is lowered about 1.5 I dont want longtubes that are gonna be obnoxiously low.

thanks!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Banned

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-posting.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...mount-faq.html

go Gators!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Do yourself a favor and just buy Kooks and be done with it. I'm in the process of making lamps out of my **** *** Ebay headers.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The TSP 1 7/8 fit great.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what's your price range, if you want something that will have a great finish for a long time you will want something stainless. the tsp ceramic coated headers i have heard great things and the coating should last for a decently long time. I was on a budget and since my car isn't an extreme set up, the 1 3/4 pacesetters i ordered were enough for my setup and are a great price. also they tuck pretty well and slid right in (once i had the front of the car lifted high enough). your biggest concern from my experience won't be the headers being to low, but the y pipe being low. that's the only place i rub.

finally dropping the k member isn't required, but some people do it to just make the headers slide in easier....theres a decent amount of forums on here of header installs, look at them and study them and u will be able to do your first header install with a buddies help in less then 8-10 hours. it took me and my dad 5 hours to get everything off, swapped, and another hour and a half or so to put it back together.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you doing the install your self? if so, then read read read before you do anything, go dig up old posts, many choices according to your budget but IMO quality will be the same. anyway you dont need to drop anything some people have them literally just slide in. if it was me id do engine mounts along with new spark plugs and wires. you wont regret it. also, if your going with a Y pipe it would be great to order a flowmaster merge and have it welded in, it will help alot with rasp and flow.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stephen4036
- do you have to drop k member to install longtubes.. (98 z28)
- are they mostly 1 piece or 2 on drivers side?
- so I know what EGR us, but I dont know what AIR is.. Never heard of it on my old mustang.
- do any particular brands hang STUPID LOW. My car is lowered about 1.5 I dont want longtubes that are gonna be obnoxiously low.

thanks!
1) no
2) both headers are 1 piece
3) air injection reaction. some emissions bs. there is a pump located low inside the driver's front fender and a bunch of rubber hoses that can be removed, as well.
4) slp headers hang low. 1 3/4" pace setters tuck well, not sure about the 1 7/8". the ypipe will drag before anything else in the system does.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Theres a lot of good information already out there if you would just use the search button.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also the 1 7/8 texas speed headers are now made out of stainless steal and are priced better than some coated mild steal headers. or you could buy some ebay headers from what I have read from PEOPLE THAT ACTUAL HAVE THEM the quality has improved and they fit pretty good, Goldcuffs is the first person that I've heard say otherwise but I'm sure a few crap sets get sold every now and then. I was going to get ebay headers till texas speed switched to stainless and have done quite a bit of searching and reading about them there not to bad for what they cost.

Search this Thread