Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is flowmaster?

I have been doing a lot of research on which exhaust I am going to put on my car and obviously there are three considerations, Price Sound and Performance. True duals have the obvious performance advantage but are killers in the price arena so I have decided to go Y. These all seem to be roughly the same price, so based on sound I have always liked the old school Chambered sound of Flowmasters, the only thing that I have heard on our cars that comes close to this type of sound is the GMMG, which is quite expensive. So my question is what makes the Flowmaster so bad? All I could find were claims of restriction but no evidence, I understand that by virtue of the design it will not flow as well as SLP, but corsa is designed with the same type of muffler system and seems to get no corrisponding disdain. What am I missing here?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Teching In

In my opinion, unless you have a TON of horsepower, you probably arent going to notice a difference. The change in hp between a flowmaster catback and an slp would probably be <5hp.
I have a flowmaster muffler with stock Y and I LOVE the sound. Not too loud, but gives it the aggressive tone. Not too expensive either.

Bottom line...go with sound over performance unless you are planning a big build.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadFootGXP
I have been doing a lot of research on which exhaust I am going to put on my car and obviously there are three considerations, Price Sound and Performance. True duals have the obvious performance advantage but are killers in the price arena so I have decided to go Y. These all seem to be roughly the same price, so based on sound I have always liked the old school Chambered sound of Flowmasters, the only thing that I have heard on our cars that comes close to this type of sound is the GMMG, which is quite expensive. So my question is what makes the Flowmaster so bad? All I could find were claims of restriction but no evidence, I understand that by virtue of the design it will not flow as well as SLP, but corsa is designed with the same type of muffler system and seems to get no corrisponding disdain. What am I missing here?
This is not firebird specific, it should go in the GENIII external section...
But anyway, you did not search hard enough, this took me like 5 min:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-mufflers.html
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Dynomax Super Turbo 278 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Ultraflow Bullet 512 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Gibson Superflow 267 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Flowmaster ( 2 Chamber) 249 CFM
2 ½” Inlet Outlet Flowmaster ( 3 Chamber) 229 CFM
2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet Thrush CVX 260 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Maremount Cherry Bomb 298 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Aero Chamber 324 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Max Flow 521 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Borla Turbo 373 CFM
2 1/2" Inlet/Outlet Magnaflow 284 CFM
I bought my car with a flowmaster muffler already on it, and it sounded good with stock exhaust manifolds/cats/y-pipe. After installing LT headers and an ORY it sounded like total crap, reminded me of an old truck, I couldn't stand it.
Replaced with a Hooker catback (which is cheap as well, like $350) and it sounds so much better(much more exotic, yet with more "burble" and a nice tone), and I noticed a seat of the pants difference in power and throttle response.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I've had a Flowmaster 80 series muffler on my 99 T/A for 3 years and I think it sounds great. The only nagative thing is it is aluminum and not stainless steel.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 AM
Teching In

I have been debating between going true dual or catback myself. I'm willing to spend the money if it's really going to make a difference. Is it worth the three hundred dollar difference??
Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kooks has a great True dual system. GM High Tech Performance mag did an install article and I'm sold on it! It's just too bad I wanna do a side exit exhaust, but now I might consider true-dual w/X-pipe side exit.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There was a brand new Flowmaster cat back on my car when I purchased it. I hate it. It's too quiet, doesn't sound that good and doesn't really look good either. Go with something else... Never been a Flowmaster fan on anything other than a Mustang.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice guys, I dont plan on ever doing too much work to my car and im not chasing numbers or 1/4 mile times so I think im going to go with the flowmaster, Eventually I plan on doing LTs and I might change it up then. Ill let you guys know what I think after I put it on. Glad to hear some positive reviews
Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Flowmaster muffler welded into my stock cat back. I have a cutout in place of the cat and I'm making about 280 rwhp, at the track I gained .6 mph with the cutout open vs closed. Everybody says a Flowmaster hurts performance but at my power level I'm not seeing it. I get positive comments all the time on how good my car sounds.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

from all ive read, dual exhaust is useless unless youre making huge power, big cubes, or running super/turbo chargers. ive also always heard that the flowmasters for LS1 fbodies LOSE power as apposed to gaining power. they restrict the exhaust flow.

i have pacesetter LTs, TSP catted Y, and an SLP original loudmouth. i get compliments everywhere i go, especially on track days, where there is everything from piece of **** ricers, to 5th gens, vettes, mustangs, porsches, and full race cars. out of all them, people walk up to my car and say how good it sounds.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I get people stopping me all the time to ask about my exhuast, they say my flowmaster sounds great IMO
Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

several years ago when i had LTs and a Hotcam i picked up 32 rwhp removing my cats and upgrading from flowmaster muffler to TSP Rumbler catback.

flowmaster does sound good, but the performance isn't too good. for the same price you can buy something else that flows better and sounds just as good.

for making power, having your exhaust right is the first real step
Old 09-30-2011, 10:14 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
This is not firebird specific, it should go in the GENIII external section...
Yep, I agree. Moving to Gen III External.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan C
I've had a Flowmaster 80 series muffler on my 99 T/A for 3 years and I think it sounds great. The only nagative thing is it is aluminum and not stainless steel.
Not aluminum, aluminized steel. Its just a coating over steel pipe.

Flowmaster catbacks don't flow great on these cars but most say they sound good. If you want similar sound but better flow, then move to a 2 chamber or single chamber. Problem solved.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

In my opinion if your just doing a catback and you like the sound of flowmaster use it. It may not flow the best compared to catbacks that are 2-3x more expensive but you get a good sound. Besides I read in a car magazine that until you change around 20hp you cant fell a difference unless at the track of course. Yes I have flowmaster on my car I love it I can stand to lose 5hp or whatever nbd. Btw single chamber 40 series flow the best
Old 10-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Launching!

I love my 40 series flowmaster, but then again I did not have the privilege of being able to go with LT's. I live in a zip code with very strict emissions and I don't know anybody to just slap on a sticker on my windshield. I had to go with ST Pacesetters, and I love the combo with my Flowmaster, and I get compliments all the time. If you're sticking with manifolds for now, no reason to spend extra money.

Last edited by arock24; 10-01-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 973800CamaroRS
Btw single chamber 40 series flow the best
A single chamber is a 10 series. 40 series are 2 chambers.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry I was wrong but you cant get a 10 series with just a cat back? Because when I got my flowmaster the shop told me it was the best flowing flowmaster and its a 40.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:20 PM

Default flowbench vs dyno

First - I will let you know I am the VP of marketing for Flowmaster - just to be honest going into this discussion. I'm not going to lay a bunch of PR on you. But a flowbench test on mufflers has NO relationship to performance. Only a dyno can determine power. Two points to consider - a flowbench measures constant flow air at room temperature. Exhaust, last time I checked, is hot air and flows as a pulse by virtue of the four cycle engine combustion. A chambered muffler works to draw the exhaust through the system - scavenging the exhaust, not inhibiting it. In recent tests (one month ago) at Westech Performance - with unbiased testing - our mufflers performed better than open exhaust and other "open - see right through it" mufflers. I welcome your independent testing.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't doubt independent research, however, Flowmaster makes a LOT of mufflers. Without specifying exactly which muffler you are talking about and what application the test was performed on, you have done no justice.

Quick Reply: How bad is flowmaster?