Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Exhaust Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Side Exhaust Legal?

I live in New York state. Does anyone know if side pipes are legal here? I know some must be because I see Ford Lightnings and some cobras with the side exhaust. Im wondering if they are only legal if they come from the factory.

Does anyone have any info on any laws pertinent to side pipes?

Thanks,
-Tony
Old 03-08-2004, 11:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about NY but, here in NH we have a law that specificly says that all cars must have a rear exiting exhaust. Trucks are allowed to have their exhaust dump anywhere after the cab. If a car comes with a factory side exaust I asume it's excluded from the law. I believe most states simply say that your exhaust must retain the facotry lay out, appearance, and sound.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

those cars are considered specialty cars. If im not mistaken i believe ford actually set out to get some states to allow it, however here in Virginia, all i see is SVT lightnings with rear exit exhaust. Personally, i did a rear exit on my car, I love it. But i got long tubes so im returning to the rear exit, just for teh sole purpose of not taunting the local law enforcement.

Do what you want with your exhaust, paying the Improper exhaust fine (usually 45-80 bucks) id consider just part of getting the sound and look you want. but usually cops look for two things...a muffler and catalytic convertors, if they pull you over. atleast thats the info i gathered from va state cops who are probably second worse only behind california's law enforcement
hope that helped some
Old 03-08-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

New Jersey cops are a$$holes, although i ve been pulled over for speeding and was in an accident(my fault, rotors were shot and leaked hydraulic fluid in my '89 Maxima and i slid into this guy) and didnt get a ticket, but my friends, fellow students, family and nieghbors have been pulled over the cops are a$$holes
Old 03-08-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

I believe the law here is that the exhaust must exit the vehicle behind any passenger compartment. So if the exhaust exits on the side close to the rear wheels I would think that would be ok, as long as it has "mufflers and cats" as well.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Exit the vehicle behind the rear axle is typically what they're lookin for on cars.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:05 PM

so what you are saying is any vehicle that doesn't come stock side pipes is illegal?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tons of cops around my area but I believe most appreciate muscle cars. From what you guys are saying my dumped bullet is illegal but no cops have hassled me.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe generally the law is it has to exit after the passenger compartment. trucks such as the ford lightning have the exhaust exiting after the cab.. bed is not part part of the passenger compartment. for the f-cars though technically the passenger cab continues all the way to the very back as its all one airspace so the exhaust to be legal has to exit there as well but... cops generally won't care. Now if you have to pass inspection... that might be different story.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
I believe generally the law is it has to exit after the passenger compartment. trucks such as the ford lightning have the exhaust exiting after the cab.. bed is not part part of the passenger compartment. for the f-cars though technically the passenger cab continues all the way to the very back as its all one airspace so the exhaust to be legal has to exit there as well but... cops generally won't care. Now if you have to pass inspection... that might be different story.
so even if its right before the rear wheel on a 4 door sedan? because i know it might sound like crap but i really want side exit pipes (really just pipe because it's a 4cylinder) on my saturn.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:45 AM

i think imma do side pipe any way because i never seen it done before on a saturn and i'll talk to some mechanics to see if i'll pass inspection. hope it sounds sick too.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:54 PM

i was looking for a muffler so i can do my side exit pipe and i like the flow master outlaw mufflers. but my question is i have a four cylinder car and i am afraid it will sound horrible and if it would cause me to get tons of tickets from those bored cops? is some one able to give me some advise?

Quick Reply: Side Exhaust Legal?