Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling mod questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Cooling mod questions?

I've got a h/c/i car with a aftermarket temp gauge. Its not going directly into coolant but its screwed into the head. That gauge used to stay on around 195 now it gets up to 210 or 215 on hot days. The gauge in the dash has only climbed passed 210 1 time and it immediately dropped back down. I was running it hard when that happened. I'm all ready running a 160 T stat, its tuned for the fans to come on sooner and I've got a fanswitch that while driving I keep on high most of the time just for insurance. What are some more things I could do to drop my temps on down. On cool days it still runs the 195 its only on hot or muggy days. I tried going to a car wash and spraying my radiator out but I don't know as to how well I actually did it. Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 05:14 AM
10 Second Club

bump to the top
Old 10-03-2011, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has a few bolt-on things and it runs 210 a lot of the time in the summer. Sometimes temperature gauges are just innacurate which I don't think is uncommon for these cars and that might be your preoblem.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sounds normal to me. NEVER wash your radiator when car is hot. exterior washing will do nothing. my car runs same temps on 113F days. i guess yous is just fine.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

210 is about normal for these cars
Old 10-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want anything lower look into a higher CFM fan. My buddies turbo fox run's hot because of this. Shitty cfm fan isn't enough.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

I just dont' understand why the gauge in the dash went above 210 that time. Check gauges came on and everything. Maybe it was just one of those days?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

It doesn't need to run any cooler then it already is. My car has actually picked up time/mph at the track by hot lapping
Old 10-11-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you noticed that it runs a bit hotter now compared to previously, there is a chance that you have a leak...

could be anything from radiator cap to pump bushing/seal to hoses to heater core;

borrow a pressure test kit and check that your cooling system can hold 18 psi for 30 minutes; and then test your cap.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I've got a h/c/i car with a aftermarket temp gauge. Its not going directly into coolant but its screwed into the head. That gauge used to stay on around 195 now it gets up to 210 or 215 on hot days. The gauge in the dash has only climbed passed 210 1 time and it immediately dropped back down. I was running it hard when that happened. I'm all ready running a 160 T stat, its tuned for the fans to come on sooner and I've got a fanswitch that while driving I keep on high most of the time just for insurance. What are some more things I could do to drop my temps on down. On cool days it still runs the 195 its only on hot or muggy days. I tried going to a car wash and spraying my radiator out but I don't know as to how well I actually did it. Thanks
Those temps are not high AT ALL, especially right there in the head.

These stock cooling systems are good for 500-600 HP set-ups, easily. As long as everything is operating properly. BUT....if you ever have to replace your radiator, get an LT1 radiator to replace it with. That will certainly give you a little better cooling, as its larger. And it is a 100% direct replacement, all hook ups, everything is identical as far as installing it and hooking it up. You just have to cap one extra port with a piece of hose and a clamp.

Have fun man, you're not running hot.

I'll have a product out soon that everyone is going to love.....testing it now but it won't be available till January or February. It'll drop temps either 20-40 degrees in 30-90 seconds, depending on when the t-stat is going to open again, and KEEP those temps down low as long as you want them there. Or you can drop it at 5, 10 ,15 degree increments too, whatever you choose. Its really for us who get caught in traffic on hot *** days and NEEDING to keep the A/C "on" full blast so we don't sweat are ***** off. It will eliminate overheating from that situation and keep the A/C system working much easier while in traffic. It can also be used to cool an engine down at the track on the way back to the tech area after a 1/4 mile run or after a road course race.
Not sure what it'll cost, but we're gonna sell it as a bolt on kit. Again, we're still testing it, it works like a charm so far. We're trying to get it to where it will offer up to 4 hours of cooling, adding just 4-5 pounds to the car and have one single switch for on and off and maybe include a digital temp gauge. We're testing it on my car, a Vette and a Dodge Ram pick-up truck.

But don't tell anyone..... lol

Last edited by LS6427; 10-11-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
If you noticed that it runs a bit hotter now compared to previously, there is a chance that you have a leak...

could be anything from radiator cap to pump bushing/seal to hoses to heater core;

borrow a pressure test kit and check that your cooling system can hold 18 psi for 30 minutes; and then test your cap.
True.......after 5-6 years, my Stant radiator cap just last week started losing coolant. I checked it a couple times in the past 8-10 days and it was low both times...I was like WTF. I got a new cap and topped it off....its been perfect the past 3-4 days of driving and checking it.

Bad rad caps......such an overlooked item. It lets coolant out so slow and quiet while your driving....sneaky little bastards.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

I also noticed that if I drive the car and get it nice and hot and wait approx. 10 minutes to 20 minutes and take the cap off thinking I"m getting boiled on, it doesn't have any pressure on it. It just twists off like its nothing.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Has the level in the overflow reservoir been the same or has it been going up or down...?
Old 10-13-2011, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Honestly I haven't checked the overflow tank. I just know the radiator is full.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I'll have a product out soon that everyone is going to love.....testing it now but it won't be available till January or February. It'll drop temps either 20-40 degrees in 30-90 seconds, depending on when the t-stat is going to open again, and KEEP those temps down low as long as you want them there. Or you can drop it at 5, 10 ,15 degree increments too, whatever you choose. Its really for us who get caught in traffic on hot *** days and NEEDING to keep the A/C "on" full blast so we don't sweat are ***** off. It will eliminate overheating from that situation and keep the A/C system working much easier while in traffic. It can also be used to cool an engine down at the track on the way back to the tech area after a 1/4 mile run or after a road course race.
Not sure what it'll cost, but we're gonna sell it as a bolt on kit. Again, we're still testing it, it works like a charm so far. We're trying to get it to where it will offer up to 4 hours of cooling, adding just 4-5 pounds to the car and have one single switch for on and off and maybe include a digital temp gauge. We're testing it on my car, a Vette and a Dodge Ram pick-up truck.

But don't tell anyone..... lol