Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout on stock manifold and catback

Old 10-01-2011, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutout on stock manifold and catback

Anyone have any sound clips or experience with the sound of an electric cut out with stock manifolds and stock catback on an ls1?

I'd put the cutout pretty far up because I'd want it loud.

Would it sound good and loud or pretty crappy and not what i expect?

I kinda want that muscle car sound, like when you hit the drag strip.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

loud? definitely.
good? definitely not.

i chopped my muffler once just for fun, it sounded loud, deep, raspy and droned at any rpm/speed. if its a track mod or just to sound loud at times, then id vote yes. but if you want it for the "good" sound then id say spend the money on a bullet muffler that will flow just as good.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

I just want it to be really loud every once in a while, people down here like to say oh my cars louder than yours, i wanna win that

I'd just open them up every once in a while
Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZUTS...el_video_title

I want it to sound loud like that, thats my dads 67 firebird. I know it wont sound exactly like that because he has bigger cam and a ton of upgrades but I mean loud like that.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

if so, then a cutout is deff what your looking for
Old 10-01-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loud and Raspy
Old 10-01-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

if you want it to sound like that, get a cam, run open headers.. lol

if you want loud, ditch the cats, dump a single bullet off the y... its the lightest possible setup you can get aside from doing headers and dumping them.... LS1 will sound like **** on manifolds and cats with a cutout... they remind me of my Pops' old farm truck...
Old 10-01-2011, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

He does have a cam and open headers lol.. hmm I can't really find any vids of stock with cut-out and if it sounds like an old farm truck no thanks.. and i cant ditch the cats because i need it to be legal.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

If it has a cam and its on factory manifolds.. slap yourself.. or him... get headers and then decide if you want the cutout.. you can go to LS1sounds.com and search the many files to find something close to what you have... those manifolds and cats are killing you...
Old 10-01-2011, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Ik it sucks im just on a really tight budget (college student) :/.. His car has nothing stock about it though. runs in low 6's in 1/8th mile plus hes got a big shot nitrous kit in it, I think its got a 500 horse shot at the moment.

I still would like to hear the cut out with rest stock before I decide cuz I just want it to open up every once in a while and make heads turn.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
If it has a cam and its on factory manifolds.. slap yourself.. or him... get headers and then decide if you want the cutout.. you can go to LS1sounds.com and search the many files to find something close to what you have... those manifolds and cats are killing you...
I listened to one on ls1sounds that said it was all stock except for the cutout, if thats how it sounds I like it.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sladester2
I listened to one on ls1sounds that said it was all stock except for the cutout, if thats how it sounds I like it.

Just remember, it was recorded on a little camera mic and played back on computer speakers.. it may sound different irl but it should give you a good idea... dont expect it to sound exactly like the vid especially since you will be inside the car....
Old 10-01-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a cutout welded on to my stock exhaust back in the day. I had it welded on the bend right after the real axle. It's easy to get to if you want to cap/uncap (if you dont get an electric plate for it). It's pretty loud for such a cheap mod. Also, since it's further back in the car, you won't go deaf. You should expect a lot of drone/rasp though.

Since then I ditched my stock manifolds and y-pipe and got long tube headers and an off road y-pipe (no cats), but I kept my stock muffler, and added a bullet to the I-pipe to help with the rasp. I really love my setup, it's great for daily driving! I have a DMH electric plate bolted onto my cutout. When it's closed, the car sounds VERY close to stock, it's great when you don't want to attract attention. When it's open, it's quite loud.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cutout on stock manifold and catback