Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redoing COMPLETE Exhaust - Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redoing COMPLETE Exhaust - Few Questions

I bought my car with the current exhaust on it:

1 3/4" Pacesetter Headers (Rusted)
Texas Speed Offroad Y-Pipe (Rusted & beat into submission to fit 3 Pt. SFC's)
Corsa Catback (Stainless)

The car dyno'd at 398whp last year through the tips. Since then the inlet weld on the muffler has failed, so I removed the muffler/tips. The car has ran slightly better ETs because of this, but driving it on the street does get annoying sometimes. After thinking it through Ive decided to completely redo the exhaust while replacing the muffler:

1 7/8" Texas Speed Headers (Stainless)
Custom 3" to 4" Merge Y-Pipe (Stainless)
4" QTP Cutout (Stainless)
Modified Corsa I-Pipe (Stainless)
Replace Corsa Muffler & Reuse Corsa Tips (Stainless)

Now I figured I should replace/upgrade a few other items while Im in there:

Motor Mounts
Tranny Mount
Oil/Filter
Spark Plugs

Now for my questions.

Do my plans look sound? Any opinions/suggestions?
Replacing the mounts, will the poly's be too rough for a street car?
QTP doesn't have a price on the 4" cutout on their website, anyone know why?
Will I need to replace my 02s?
I eventually plan to swap in a 6spd. Will this new exhaust need modified then? I have a UMI Tunnel-Mounted Torque Arm.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

This is a good example of the type of Y-Pipe I want to build, but I think I will face the cutout the opposite way:

Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You may not need 4" for the exhaust. Why not just 3" straight thru. Also if you are careful when taking your old 02's out you can possible reuse them.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
You may not need 4" for the exhaust. Why not just 3" straight thru. Also if you are careful when taking your old 02's out you can possible reuse them.
From what I have read 3" becomes a restriction around 380ish whp. The Y-Pipe will be 3" and merge into 4" for the cutout, and after the cutout be bottle necked back down to 3" for the Corsa Catback. The cutout will only be opened for the track and occasion playing on the street. I estimate by opening up the cutout Ill gain around 10whp.

And I figure if I ever upgrade to an LS2 block, my exhaust wont have to be touched again.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure where you heard that but it's false info. Just keep the cutout 3" and be done with it. 380 hp is not enough to worry about going to 4 inches.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Replacing the mounts, will the poly's be too rough for a street car?
Do the mounts while doing the headers for sure because doing them after putting in headers and a full exhaust is like adding insult to injury (ask me how I know). And yes on the poly's, seriously my car felt like a totally different ride (in a good way) after I did mine and I use it as a DD with no regrets

Oh and don't forget new wires while doing the plugs.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

I will look again for the sources I read where 3" becomes a restriction. My car currently is around 410-415ish whp.

Originally Posted by Stinkee
Do the mounts while doing the headers for sure because doing them after putting in headers and a full exhaust is like adding insult to injury (ask me how I know). And yes on the poly's, seriously my car felt like a totally different ride (in a good way) after I did mine and I use it as a DD with no regrets

Oh and don't forget new wires while doing the plugs.
Yes thats what I figured since they are the factory mounts lol. Did you use Energy Suspension or another company?

The wires are already MSD 8.5s, and I just replaced the plugs 8k miles ago but for $20 Ill throw some new ones in there since they have to come out to do headers. I bought the car with 46k, and it has 56k now but I do routine maintenance wayyy before it actually needs done.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Yep, I went with the ES poly's and friggen lovem.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stinkee
Yep, I went with the ES poly's and friggen lovem.
Thanks. It seems alot of people that switch to Poly's go with ES mounts. Ill look into the prices of those. Im still getting a list of parts together, so I know how much side money Im gonna need.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Build a true dual system, that pic you posted is of the exhaust upside down lol. You can see the trans hangar is on the wrong side. Td over the axel would be an awesome build.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Lol you are right it is upside down in the pic, my bad. Here is another pic of it installed. This is actually Patrik Gs:

I did think about a true dual system, but I already have clearance issues as it is being at stock height with the 3" exhaust I have now and UMI Torque Arm. I have seen some setups that are tucked up enough that clearance looks decent, but Im not sure I wanna replace the panhard bar & brace.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stippy17
Ill be merging the Y-pipe into 4" and using a 4" cutout. Do you think thats the right choice for me? My car is currently around 410-415ish whp and Im sure the new exhaust setup will help that number even more. When exactly does 3" become a restriction?

Originally Posted by Patrik G
3" becomes a restriction above 400rwhp. It's less of a restriction as the exhaust cools and contracts. That's why if you have a 4" merge, you can neck it down to 3" further back and not hurt you as badly.

That is my reasoning behind the 4" merge/cutout. Not only will it help me squeeze a few extra hp out of my setup, but if I ever do upgrade to more cubes/hp my exhaust wont need redone.