Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default True Duals

I was contemplating purchasing the Kooks system but overlooked the additional costs of purchasing a panhard bar relocation kit and purchasing JEG's relocation kit to make the panhard bar parallel to the ground again. It seems like too much for my budget right now and was thinking about routing my true duals in a different way.

Why is it that all the true duals are fabricated to the passenger side? Why not jus' route one tubing above the axle on the passenger side and another on the driver's side and place some heat shielding along the fuel line?

This set up caught my eye: (Post 45 & 74)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ics-too-3.html
Old 10-14-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've wondered this too, but there has to be a reason. 74 says he has work done to the tub, so maybe there just isn't any room.

Doing a bit of Googling, one guy did and has better pics: http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452678
Old 10-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy Crap, I thought I was going to have to do an under the axle dual exhaust setup, but damn!

Seeing that it's possible to do a dual over the axle without keeping the pipes together changes everything!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Guitar
I've wondered this too, but there has to be a reason. 74 says he has work done to the tub, so maybe there just isn't any room.

Doing a bit of Googling, one guy did and has better pics: http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452678
That's because the dude installed some big mufflers with his setup.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I'm going to ride my car up to an exhaust shop this week to get a quote and such. He's really good at fabbing up stuff apparently (and has a mandrel bender), so I'll talk to him and see if it is possible.

What I'm assuming is that if it is over the other axle, you don't need the relocation kits then?
Old 10-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Banned

Im about to get kooks headers and true duals. http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...7/IMAG0100.jpg theres my relocated panhard bar with kit. Maryland speed sells a package kooks headers kooks true duals and relo panhard bar and body tunnel brace for 2200. The way i look at it my the best stuff for your car.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

I was really interested in the Kooks true dual system like I said but the additional expenses are too much for me currently. I am concerned about power and handling, and the installation of the panhard bar relocation kit leaves much to be desired from a handling perspective. The panhard bar is to be placed parallel to the ground but with the kit, it places it at an angle which creates a loose feeling in the back. The only solution is the JEG's relocation bracket that is installed and welded on the driver's side so that the panhard bar can be parallel to the ground again. Bummer, another added expense. (Rant here: Why the hell is the panhard bar relocation kit so damn expensive!?!)

Guitar: if you route the exhaust system as I suggested (one on each side of the axle), then no, you don't need a panhard bar relocation kit. Routing two exhaust pipes on the passenger side takes up a lot of space and requires the brace be relocated.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

I heard it will handle fine with sfc torque arm and lca.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Torque arms and LCA's are geared for launching.
Panhard bars are geared for handling. (To make the most of it, the panhard bar must be parallel to the ground.)
Old 10-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned

Isnt that what the bends for thats why you buy the panhard bar thats with the relo kit.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

The torque arm, PHB, and the fuel tank, get in the way of routing an exhaust pipe on the driver's side. You could route under the axle, but that presents challenges also with regard to ground clearance, it has been done though.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some shops have been able to fit 2.5" duals over the passenger side without relocating the panhard bar.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can absolutely get dual 3 inch over the passenger side with no panhard relocation, you just need a shop god enough to do it
Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
Isnt that what the bends for thats why you buy the panhard bar thats with the relo kit.
The way a panhard sits stock is parallel to the ground which prevents lateral movement of the axle. With relocating the panhard bar, it needs to be shifted downward for clearance issues and this results in a panhard bar that isn't parallel to the ground. Panhard relocation: bad for handling.

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
The torque arm, PHB, and the fuel tank, get in the way of routing an exhaust pipe on the driver's side. You could route under the axle, but that presents challenges also with regard to ground clearance, it has been done though.
I don't want to go under because if I decide to put the car on jack stands for some work or maintenance, I'll have to remove the pipes if I let the axle hang.

Originally Posted by Latch
Some shops have been able to fit 2.5" duals over the passenger side without relocating the panhard bar.
Really wanting to go with 3" duals myself.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Under the axle really isnt a big deal, just throw on some 2 bolt flanges where the pipes would normally dump and unbolt them when needed
Old 10-16-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

I feel like we are deviating from the purpose of this thread so let's get back on track: What am I over-looking when considering running single pipes over each side of the axle? Jus' trying to figure out why there aren't more setups like this.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I feel like we are deviating from the purpose of this thread so let's get back on track: What am I over-looking when considering running single pipes over each side of the axle? Jus' trying to figure out why there aren't more setups like this.
+ 1

What needs to be cut and rewelded anyways?

I know that the lines need to be relocated, but not sure about everything else....
Old 10-16-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzaku
+ 1

What needs to be cut and rewelded anyways?

I know that the lines need to be relocated, but not sure about everything else....
The 3rd and 4th gen f-bodies are a sea of obstructions to that goal. Listed in order from primary to secondary problems:

1. The torque arm: It's a moving part, so you would have to hang the exhaust low enough to avoid it's lowest point of travel. which means the exhaust would be nearly on the ground.

2. Moving parts around the axle: the differential, and panhard bar. Once you got past the torque arm there is very little room to route a pipe of any significant diameter over the axle. The differential under compression takes up room, and you have a fuel tank in the mix up there also. Routing a pipe in between the PHB support and the PHB presents a similar problem. The pipe must be in a position, and be small enough, to fit through at the lowest amount of space available (i.e. when the axle is at full compression).

3. Non-moving parts: Panhard bar support, the plastic fuel tank. The PHB support runs at an angle, and blocks a good chunk of access. Of course you have the unshielded plastic fuel tank there also. Hot exhaust and plastic fuel tanks make bad company.

4. Brake/Fuel lines running down the driver's side: These can be wrapped in 3m adhesive heat shielding tape.

For the sake of comparison, look at the S197 mustang. It has a three link suspension. The upper link is completely out of the way, unlike the torque arm.

Where the fuel tank is on the F-body, the Mustang has round recess for the spare tire, with the fuel tank behind it. The area around it is much more clear of obstruction then the F-body.

Of course because the fuel tank is out of the way, and the spare tire recess is a nice compact round shape, the location of the panhard bar's upper support is a non-issue.

Last edited by lees02WS6; 10-16-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

Some further posts that might help out...one guy had a screwed in heat shield, other guy who had the really nice setup just shielded the individual cables.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

Some further posts that might help out...one guy had a screwed in heat shield, other guy who had the really nice setup just shielded the individual cables.
Damn Guitar, ..., "Post of the Year" award for doin' all the research!

Quick Reply: True Duals