Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion needed on custom swap exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinion needed on custom swap exhaust

I have a question for you guys, working on a 98 bmw m3/ ls1/t56 swap using the drive train from a 98ws6. My setup is stock internals, ls6 intake, ported oil pump, ls2 chain, patriot dual springs with thunder racing tru torq level 2 cam, custom american racing headers(1-3/4 primaries, 3" collectors). Dual spun 3" cats will be welded in also.

Since the headers are 304ss i am going to fab the whole exhaust out of 304ss. I due to the custom swap a dual 2.5in setup fits best. I just purchased a bunch of 304 2.5" tubing as well as outfited my mig with triflow gas and wire.

I have two locations to which mount a muffler for this setup. I have always loved borla mufflers but i am stuck between that and a magnaflow.

1st option:
About 18" down stream of the cats i can fit a larger muffler in the tunnel such as the borla 4x9" oval 19" body muffler. This muffler has the internal x pipe design so in theory i could run this as a x pipe as well. With mid muffler location i would have then 4ft of tail pipe.

2nd option:
Run a proper x pipe 18" down stream of the cats and place the muffler right at the rear. There is limited space here so i would be limited to the magnaflow 14" body muffler. This muffler location would require bends before the muffler.

here is thread from a similar bend to give you guys an idea of the setup
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=3077.0

If i place the muffler in the rear, it will require a few bends, which is some restriction in flow. However i could place the muffler 4ft up stream where i could fit a borla which i love the sound of. This upstream location however would be dealing with much hotter exhaust gases which have more volume to it.

Any input would be great
Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Option 2 but with borla, wold sound meaner for a bimmer, lol, this muffler sounds awesome: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BOR-40941/
Can't go wrong with XR-1 and is 12" instead of 14".
Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think about running those, i would need to squeeze two of those in there, so it might be tight, I will measure it so see how space limited i am, i know i could squeeze a pair of the magnaflow round 5" in there tho