Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove stock catback?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remove stock catback?

I was debating whether or not I should remove my stock catback on my 98 Z/28... As you can see in the pictures the pipe and muffler connection is somewhat severed and the whole catback itself is rusted and whatnot, not to mention the muffler is close to falling of because of the drivers side clamp that's holding it is not very secure. I have a cutout waiting to be place on the i-pipe but now I'd reconsidering putting it on at all because of the condition of the stock catback. Should I go ahead and put on the cutout and get the pipe welded securely back to the muffler or should I just remove the catback completely and risk getting pulled over? Anyone run open stock Y pipe (w/ stock manifolds)? Too loud? I'm just worried about getting pulled over, I can't get anymore tickets. Any input would help.

Thanks

-Marcus
Attached Thumbnails Remove stock catback?-photo-1.jpg   Remove stock catback?-photo-2.jpg  
Old 10-24-2011, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Id definitely remove it and get a decent muffler put in if you cant afford a full catback. A decent one shouldnt be more than 150 installed at most
Old 10-24-2011, 02:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
Id definitely remove it and get a decent muffler put in if you cant afford a full catback. A decent one shouldnt be more than 150 installed at most
Yea I'm leaning toward's removing it, I was just worried about how loud an open Y pipe would be? Because I'm not sure when exactly I can pickup a new catback. I was looking at a TSP rumbler catback, but as I said I have no idea how long I'd be running an open Y for. I'm *guessing it isn't too bad because the stock manifolds I've heard are quite restricting and it still has the cats.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not loud at all if u have cats sounds nice I removed my catback because a changed the pump and liked the sound.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1TA_956
Its not loud at all if u have cats sounds nice I removed my catback because a changed the pump and liked the sound.
Yea it has the complete OEM exhaust, so stock manifolds, cats and catback. Alright I'm probably going to remove it then. Once I get LT's and drop the cats I'll pick up a catback so I don't wake my whole town up hah. Would you be able to get a video/sound clip up on here? I'd appreciate it.

If not,

Thanks anyway!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by need2speed94
Yea it has the complete OEM exhaust, so stock manifolds, cats and catback. Alright I'm probably going to remove it then. Once I get LT's and drop the cats I'll pick up a catback so I don't wake my whole town up hah. Would you be able to get a video/sound clip up on here? I'd appreciate it.

If not,

Thanks anyway!
Yeah I can
Old 10-24-2011, 03:33 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I can

Thanks, just PM when it's up! I appreciate it man.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:10 AM
Launching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06M1B...e_gdata_player

Sorry did it from my phone but sounds better in person
Old 10-24-2011, 04:20 AM
TECH Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06M1B...e_gdata_player

Sorry did it from my phone but sounds better in person
Thanks man! I guess it's not as loud as expected, I bet it sounds better in person though, phone camera's suck hah.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:25 AM
Launching!

Try it if u dnt like it get a nice borla or ur choice cat back am wating for my lt pacesetters to arrive and ory
Old 10-24-2011, 04:31 AM
TECH Regular

Try it if u dnt like it get a nice borla or ur choice cat back am wating for my lt pacesetters to arrive and ory
Yea that's what I was thinkin. Pacesetters and an ory with an open Y will be loud as hell! I think that might be too loud hah, but definitely a badass sound to hear before you put a catback on.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

High performance stainless steel exhaust is a great investment. I love my borla, and I've heard great things about Corsa and Magnaflow specifically.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

2+ on the borla adj cat back i like alot flowmaster suck
Old 10-24-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm running a 3" Y-pipe with stock manifolds... My exhaust is dumped about a a foot and a half after the y-pipe sounds AMAZING! Haha but luckily I haven't gotten pulled over yet, I try not to accelerate hard when a cop is next to me
Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
High performance stainless steel exhaust is a great investment. I love my borla, and I've heard great things about Corsa and Magnaflow specifically.
Yea Im gonna go with a TSP rumbler... I love the sound of straight through mufflers and even though Borla has quality parts, the power differences between catbacks are VERY minimal. Except Flowmasters seem to have noticeably lower CFM ratings than most brands.

Originally Posted by ROMERO98Z28
2+ on the borla adj cat back i like alot flowmaster suck
Borla is pretty amazing so I've heard, and I know what you mean about flowmaster hah. People only buy them because of the sound or they know nothing.
Originally Posted by CHADsterss
I'm running a 3" Y-pipe with stock manifolds... My exhaust is dumped about a a foot and a half after the y-pipe sounds AMAZING! Haha but luckily I haven't gotten pulled over yet, I try not to accelerate hard when a cop is next to me
I plan to get longtubes with an ORY and dump it right after the y pipe... and maybe have a straight through muffler right after the y pipe near the center of the car... different than what alot of people do but it should sound great!
get a sound clip up of your car with that setup if you can
Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you just want to dump it right after the Y-pipe, but don't want it to loud then get a Magnaflow (#18129 bullet about $45) muffler or a Moroso Spiral flow(#94051 about $55) and a aluminized turn-down (about $20). That will keep it from being to loud at a low rpm level.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by need2speed94

I plan to get longtubes with an ORY and dump it right after the y pipe... and maybe have a straight through muffler right after the y pipe near the center of the car... different than what alot of people do but it should sound great!
get a sound clip up of your car with that setup if you can
I plan the exact same also

Here are two videos, sorry for the crappy quality though I recorded it with my phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqH7_...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIY9QR-yeI0
Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
If you just want to dump it right after the Y-pipe, but don't want it to loud then get a Magnaflow (#18129 bullet about $45) muffler or a Moroso Spiral flow(#94051 about $55) and a aluminized turn-down (about $20). That will keep it from being to loud at a low rpm level.
Yea if I decide against the TSP rumbler cat back and go with dumps, I'm *most likely going with a dynomax bullet after an ORY, but if its too loud I'll look into that magnaflow muffler or maybe a chambered muffler. Im still not sure though... rumbler cat back, or dump it after an ORY?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CHADsterss
on your set up, all that is just stock manifolds, stock cats w/ 3" y-pipe dump?

I've completly stock car for now I'd would like to just toss on a dynomax bullet, classic chambered power stick or even magnaflow bullet dump. BUT im not to sure if i'll chance it. affraid of that crackled sound lol I know they sound good with LT's, cam and o/r pipe
Old 10-25-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tumadre
on your set up, all that is just stock manifolds, stock cats w/ 3" y-pipe dump?

I've completly stock car for now I'd would like to just toss on a dynomax bullet, classic chambered power stick or even magnaflow bullet dump. BUT im not to sure if i'll chance it. affraid of that crackled sound lol I know they sound good with LT's, cam and o/r pipe
Yup all stock exhaust set up from the y-pipe up to the manifolds

Quick Reply: Remove stock catback?