Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Intake Porting

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LS2 Intake Porting

Where is the "best" place to send an LS2 intake to be ported.

Who has had the best results?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crickets
Old 10-31-2011, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 maybe even near DFW, TX
Old 10-31-2011, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive seen more losses than gain with ported manifolds, when people actually test them themselves. Everyone likes to say they have a "ported" intake, but I havent seen any great gains with them. I would put your money into proven intakes.

1) LS6, budget
2) FAST, max power & torque gains

Edit: webshot wont let me upload a bigger pic.

This is a graph of LS2, LS6, and FAST 102mm. All on same car, all in same few hours. LS2 is lowest, LS6 is middle, FAST is highest.

Last edited by SweetS10V8; 10-31-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Ive seen more losses than gain with ported manifolds, when people actually test them themselves. Everyone likes to say they have a "ported" intake, but I havent seen any great gains with them. I would put your money into proven intakes.

1) LS6, budget
2) FAST, max power & torque gains

Edit: webshot wont let me upload a bigger pic.

This is a graph of LS2, LS6, and FAST 102mm. All on same car, all in same few hours. LS2 is lowest, LS6 is middle, FAST is highest.

That's great info. Perfect example why these forums are so beautiful. It benifits everybody from the most experienced to the least (like myself) with information that may otherwise be out of reach either, because of time, money, or knowledge.
Also my apologies to the OP for staying of subject or hjjacking I'll try and steer it back in a second.
What I have learned in other threads is that:
Fast>Ls6>Ls2 in overall power, stock or ported.

I THINK also (as I haven't talked to a "porter" hence this thread):
Ls6>Fast>Ls2 in a results per $$$

My personal intrest in the subject is a, stock Ls6 vs a ported Ls2 in a entry level budget senerio. Building off a bare intake. I'm aware other factors need to be figured. But I would need todays cost of porting work to complete a formula:
Peak power x Power range x $$$ =??

p.s. I already have a brand new ls2 in hand.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Hy82e
That's great info. Perfect example why these forums are so beautiful. It benifits everybody from the most experienced to the least (like myself) with information that may otherwise be out of reach either, because of time, money, or knowledge.
Also my apologies to the OP for staying of subject or hjjacking I'll try and steer it back in a second.
What I have learned in other threads is that:
Fast>Ls6>Ls2 in overall power, stock or ported.

I THINK also (as I haven't talked to a "porter" hence this thread):
Ls6>Fast>Ls2 in a results per $$$

My personal intrest in the subject is a, stock Ls6 vs a ported Ls2 in a entry level budget senerio. Building off a bare intake. I'm aware other factors need to be figured. But I would need todays cost of porting work to complete a formula:
Peak power x Power range x $$$ =??

p.s. I already have a brand new ls2 in hand.
The information that has been provided is good. However, keep in mind that the comparison, above, is with an unported LS2 intake manifold. Many LS1 owners who are looking for improvement in performance, search for an LS6 intake manifold and see 5-10 rwhp gain simply by bolting it on. It's a good choice, but they are getting harder to find and prices are creeping higher.

Many say the LS2 intake manifold is a step backward from the LS1 and they are right if you consider simply the stock unported LS2 manifold. The reason for this is that the LS2 intake manifold switched to a new process that sonic welded three pieces together. The result is that where the pieces joined together they rarely butt together properly and there are ridges and bumps that disrupt airflow. However, porting the LS2 manifold smooths all of these transitions. Basic Porting of an LS2 manifold will generally get up to 5 rwhp better than the LS6. Our Radical porting of the LS2 manifold generally gains an additional 5 rwhp over the basic porting. For the difference between Basic and Radical porting, go to our web site at http://www.peakspeedshop.com

Another advantage to the LS2 intake manifold is that it allows you to step up to a 90mm throttle body from the LS1 78mm throttle body. The cost of the LS2 intake manifold is less than an LS6 manifold, however, that is offset by the additional cost of having to pick up the LS2 fuel rails, injectors and throttle body as well as the cost for porting. In the end, though, it is my opinion that you will have a better intake system than the LS6/78mm setup at about half the cost of a FAST setup.

Since you already have an LS2 intake manifold, you're a step ahead of the game. We charge $250 for Basic Porting and $370 for Radical Porting your intake manifold. Also, when we port your manifold, it is just $75 additional for us to port your throttle body at the same time.

Last edited by peakspeedshop; 02-07-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

LS3 worth porting?
Old 11-01-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BimmerLSX
LS3 worth porting?
yes, good intake
Old 11-01-2011, 07:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peakspeedshop
The information that has been provided is good. However, keep in mind that the comparison, above, is with an unported LS2 intake manifold. Many LS1 owners who are looking for improvement in performance, search for an LS6 intake manifold and see 5-10 rwhp gain simply by bolting it on. It's a good choice, but they are getting harder to find and prices are creeping higher.

Many say the LS2 intake manifold is a step backward from the LS1 and they are right if you consider simply the stock unported LS2 manifold. The reason for this is that the LS2 intake manifold switched to a new process that sonic welded three pieces together. The result is that where the pieces joined together they rarely butt together properly and there are ridges and bumps that disrupt airflow. However, porting the LS2 manifold smooths all of these transitions. Basic Porting of an LS2 manifold will generally get up to 5 rwhp better than the LS6. Our Radical porting of the LS2 manifold generally gains an additional 5 rwhp over the basic porting. For the difference between Basic and Radical porting, go to our web site at http://www.peakspeedshop.com

Another advantage to the LS2 intake manifold is that it allows you to step up to a 90mm throttle body from the LS1 78mm throttle body. The cost of the LS2 intake manifold is less than an LS6 manifold, however, that is offset by the additional cost of having to pick up the LS2 fuel rails, injectors and throttle body as well as the cost for porting. In the end, though, it is my opinion that you will have a better intake system than the LS6/78mm setup at about half the cost of a FAST setup.

Since you already have an LS2 intake manifold, you're a step ahead of the game. We charge $250 for Basic Porting and $370 for Radical Porting your intake manifold. Also, when we port your manifold, it is just $75 additional for us to port your throttle body at the same time.

Agreed. This is an excellent explanation.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BimmerLSX
LS3 worth porting?
Yes, the LS3 is definitely worth porting. Our customers claim they gain about 8 rwhp from our Basic Porting and about 12 rwhp from our Radical Porting of the LS3. Cost is $250 for Basic and $370 for Radical, same as the LS2.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

So at the shop i work at we put a ls2 intake, stock ls2 t/b and a 5 wire maf on a bolt-on 98 c5 6spd car. It picked up 10 rwhp all over the graph an 12 rwtq. We then took it back off and ported the intake.

It took quite a bit of time and we got 1 rwhp and no gain in tq anywhere. so it made no difference. Granted this was a bolt on car with 892 heads, but hey the solid 10 rwhp and 12rwtq was nice

Last edited by 1dirtybird; 11-01-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Peekspeedshop

Thanks for the reply, I have bookmarked your website.
At what rpm range have you seen these gains. My build is for a DD that will live 98% of life on the street in the low to mid-range. So do you even recommend any port work in that application. Or might there be a more ideal manifold for my expectations.

1dirtybird
I assume you swapped the stock ls1 manifold for the stock ls2 when you seen those gains. And no offence as that I don't know your business, but do you have experience porting manifolds? Also in what range did you notice your gains?
Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Peekspeedshop

At what rpm range have you seen these gains. My build is for a DD that will live 98% of life on the street in the low to mid-range. So do you even recommend any port work in that application. Or might there be a more ideal manifold for my expectations.

1dirtybird
I assume you swapped the stock ls1 manifold for the stock ls2 when you seen those gains. And no offence as that I don't know your business, but do you have experience porting manifolds? Also in what range did you notice your gains?
Yes it was a stock LS1 intake to a Stock LS2. The gains (stock to stock w/ tuning for both) were all over the graph.

As far as porting manifolds, my co-worker has been doing ls1 stuff since 00 and ive been doing sbc bbc sbf stuff for a little longer. We just wanted to see it was plausible to make money doing it on customers cars..... we decided it was not worth it.... at least to our customers lol...

Now we've seen gains porting some manifolds (fast stuff) but more on big cube and high hp stuff (ls3 and ls7).

Now remember this is JMHO and dose not reflecect the oppinions of supporting vendors, nor am I selling something.

Dirty

Last edited by 1dirtybird; 11-01-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Peekspeedshop

1dirtybird
I should have mentioned that Peak Speed Shop is a supporting vendor of the LS1Tech Forum and some others. Over 80% of our business is porting manifolds.... primarily LS2, LS3, LS7 and L76. Our shop does not do Dyno Tuning. Results are third party results generally provided by our customers. 90% of our customers use their cars as daily drivers. Some occassionally take them to the track. You will notice the gains throughout the power curve. However, you will feel it most during accelaration in the 3,000 - 5,000 rpm range.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

For anybody following this thread intrested in getting port work done. Check out the classified section for ls1tech members discount at peekspeedshop.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:51 PM
FormerVendor

Default Peak Speed Shop Porting Special

For anybody following this thread intrested in getting port work done. Check out the classified section for ls1tech members discount at peekspeedshop.
Here's the link to our LS1Tech Porting Special for you guys:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...y-porting.html

Quick Reply: LS2 Intake Porting