Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pulley

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pulley

Im having dificulty removing my power steering pulley. Can someone explaing how to remove it from the pump? I have a metal pulley and I cant remove the bolts behind it to remove it from the bracket.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the whole pump out before removing the pulley. Not sure if there's enough clearance to remove the pulley while the pump is on the car.
If you have to remove the whole pump first, it should be a simple matter to remove both pump lines from the pump, then remove the 3 bolts on the bracket.
Autozone 'rents' a pulley puller. You pay up front for the puller, then you get your money back upon return of the puller. Advance Auto or anyone else will have one, too.
The puller kit will also reinstall a pulley.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see what you are talking about. So I need to rent the puller and then remove it from the engine bracket. My setup is of a 2002 Escalade 6.0 engine.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if my answer was clear, but you may be able to remove the pulley, without removing the pump.
The puller has some length to it, so I'm not sure that the location of your pump, and the amount of clearance beteewn the pump & say, the radiator, will allow you to remove the pulley without first removing the whole pump.
Removing the pump can be a bit messy, so if you really have to go that route, you can place a plastic sheet under the pump to contain any stray fluid, then remove it.
The hardest part of the whole thing is understanding the directions, as the photos and the directions aren't entirely clear.
Once you do one, you'll be a pro.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Use an open end wrench to get to the two bolts. You do not need to remove the pulley to remove the pump from the bracket.

Quick Reply: Power steering pulley