Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter Question

I've never installed one of these adapters so please be patient. Any advice/info you can contribute would be appreciated.

I bought an oil filter sandwich adapter plate from glowshift, I intend to use it to hook up a temp gauge and run lines to an oil cooler. I've heard that 10AN is the recommended size line for oil coolers. This adapter is advertised as adaptable to 10AN lines. Now that I've received the item and have looked at it up close I'm not sure that is true.

It seems that the female ports on the plate don't have a 10AN thread, they have an NPT thread. The plate came with two identical adapter fittings with a male AN style thread on one end and a male NPT thread on the other. The male AN thread has a 1/2 inch inner diameter. Isn't 10AN supposed to be 10/16 of an inch? The male NPT thread has an inner diameter of 6/16 of an inch which to me seems small. So basically the inner diameter in the fittings increases from 6/16 to 10/16 as you go from the NPT side to the AN side. Aren't these fittings supposed to be the same diameter all the way through?

The fittings thread into the plates correctly but looking through the fitting holes it seems like the inner diameter of the NPT ports within the plate are even smaller than the 6/16 diameter of the fitting. Is this normal?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They're plenty large enough. Don't sweat it; it's fine.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I was worried there, thank you.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter Question