Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this normal?

Old 11-07-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is this normal?

my car has been running like **** since the ls6 install..i reinstalled the injectors and it didnt solve the problem...anyway 10 mins ago i unplugged the o2 sensors and car idled like perfect?! when i reconnect them it idles like ****...also, when car is running and i suddenly move the switch to 'off' then 'on' very fast car will start back again??? is this a stuck open injector?? or just normal? or is it just bad o2 sensors? also, black smoke with heavy throttle which is a rich condition but VERY less when o2s are unplugged..help please!!

ps. i had code for insufficient heat for both the o2 sensors since the long tubes install which was last year but this didnt effect any a\f ratio nor driveability\mpg..same codes so far. no other codes and am using stock O2s..
Old 11-07-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your fuse that says "engine sensor" to see if its blown. even if it isnt you might have bad o2/s
Old 11-07-2011, 02:17 PM
tc3
On The Tree

headers can take heat away from o2s which can overwork heater... then heater goes out and o2 cant stay hot enough to be accurate and burn off carbon...

but since it started after intake work make sure you dont have any leaks from maf to heads... im think once pcm sees one o2 disconnected it goes into open loop using map and iat instead of maf and o2s
Old 11-07-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tc3
headers can take heat away from o2s which can overwork heater... then heater goes out and o2 cant stay hot enough to be accurate and burn off carbon...

but since it started after intake work make sure you dont have any leaks from maf to heads... im think once pcm sees one o2 disconnected it goes into open loop using map and iat instead of maf and o2s
i installed the intake 3 times thinking its a vacuum leak, but apparently it wasnt. my question is, if i disconnected only one o2 will it run into open loop? car idles better with 1 disconnected (cant reach the other one)...now if in open loop, idle should be perfect right? because i noticed a SLIGHT missfire while in gear..may be i need new spark plugs. they are 6 months old...suggestions please..
Old 11-07-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Texhotrod593
Check your fuse that says "engine sensor" to see if its blown. even if it isnt you might have bad o2/s
all fuses are fine. any insight on turning the key off and on thingy?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It could be "dieseling" which basically means the engine is burning excess fuel upon shutdown.

Could be a stuck injector, bad or dirty MAF, maybe trouble with MAP sensor? It runs better when you unplug an o2 sensor and fault the pcm into open loop so that's your best clue so far.

Other less likely possibilities worth checking are the temp sensor and the IAT sensor. Some sensor that is used during closed loop but ignored during open loop is likely responsible.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
It could be "dieseling" which basically means the engine is burning excess fuel upon shutdown.

Could be a stuck injector, bad or dirty MAF, maybe trouble with MAP sensor? It runs better when you unplug an o2 sensor and fault the pcm into open loop so that's your best clue so far.

Other less likely possibilities worth checking are the temp sensor and the IAT sensor. Some sensor that is used during closed loop but ignored during open loop is likely responsible.
what is killing me is that problem arisen after intake install, car ran perfect before it, only extra thing i did is deleted egr, it also had the same o2 codes before the intake install..could the deleted egr worsen o2 readings?? am really lost and ran out of ideas ...with the o2 connected the shake is VERY bad sometimes, car wouldnt even move!!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:44 AM
TECH Addict

okay so i tried unplugging both car would idle very nicely. when i connect only one it idles good too but when i connect both it smokes and have a very rough idle to it!! running only passenger side is somewhat better than running only driver side.. whats going on here? why does it run like crap when both are connected? should i order new O2s? stocker or bosch or vette?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:43 AM
tc3
On The Tree

if you replace go with acdelco or denso... no bosch. you did block off the fittings at the header for egr and air right?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very small chance that it's the O2's. You probably have a vacuum leak somewhere (intake may even be cracked). There is unmetered air entering the intake track and the O2's are sensing a lean condition because of that....so they are dumping more fuel. When in open loop, computer stops basing fuel off the O2's reading so no more extra fuel.

Use new gaskets and check around MAP. Try installing your old intake to see if that fixes it. If you still can't find it, take a can of brake cleaner and start spraying around the intake until you find the idle jumping around.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

it is my stock ls1 intake btw i ditched the ls6, may be ill reinstall it after i solve the O2s crap though...and i did use new gaskets and its noway a vacuum leak, the install is VERY easy and direct..i sprayed carb cleaner around everything and no idle changes. i dont want to waste money on new O2s if it wont solve it..map sensor is tight with no leaks, car drove pretty amazing without the O2s lol

Search this Thread