Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the runout spec for the crank snout? Trust aftermarket ballancer from Dorman?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the runout spec for the crank snout? Trust aftermarket ballancer from Dorman?

So I pulled my bent ballancer today, and checked the crank snout runout it was .001" measured with a dial indicator off the nose (snout) of the crank, with the plugs out and the engine cranking over. Cannot find the spec for this I have a factory service manual, and all it lists is rear flexpalte mounting surface runout .002" max, main journal runout .001" max.. no spec for crank snout? WTF I would asume .001" is fine?

Next question new ballancer from the stealership 220.00!!! Aftermarket Dorman 62.99 do I trust Dorman?? ARP or factory ballancer bolt, either way it should be replaced, as it is torque to yield? factory bolt 10.00 Arp costs?

Do I need an installer tool? GM # J 41665 and J 41478 is there a aftermarket installer? I could use grade 8 ready rod whatever sixe it is 15mm? and a peice of steel tube a wahser, and a nut??

I broke a peice of metal out of the thread on the crank, while using a 1/4" drive socket,to have the puller press against, it got wedged in there and broke the first thread, I fished it out, and got the bolt started back in by hand, still lots of thread left, thinking it may be ok??

At this piont I am thinking of installing a new ballencer, and running the motor, hoping there is no hidden dammage or cracks from the acident. It costs far to much to pull the motor apart and have it crack checked hot tanked, new cam bearings and seals installed!

I am hoping that since the crank seems to be ok, that there wouldn't have been to much stress on the mains?

2007 gmc 4.8l motor in a 04 colorado.

I think just the bolt, abd ballencer are bent? vid..
[youtube]TLjFemK0AqU[/youtube]
Old 11-27-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i measured mine when i was doing my cam swap and with a dial indicator on the crank gear i measured .002" runout. i called the manufacture of the timing set and asked them they said .001"-.002" was normal... i would bolt it back together with the dorman balancer and a new bolt and fire her up
Old 11-27-2011, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
i measured mine when i was doing my cam swap and with a dial indicator on the crank gear i measured .002" runout. i called the manufacture of the timing set and asked them they said .001"-.002" was normal... i would bolt it back together with the dorman balancer and a new bolt and fire her up
So the dorman can be trusted? Thanks.. -Jamie
Old 11-27-2011, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 94camaroz28lt1
So the dorman can be trusted? Thanks.. -Jamie
i have never used a harmonic balancer made by them but i have used alot of other things made by them and overall i have been very pleased with their quality for their price. i would rather chance it with a new dorman pulley than buy a used big name brand pulley. just inspect the pulley and make sure it looks good... i.e. the rubber is not cracked and it all looks as it should. make sure you use a longer bolt to install the new pulley,,, you can make your own tool or you can buy the balancer install tool that BYUNSPEED sells. its a bad *** tool, i have used it time and time again awesome tool
Old 11-27-2011, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
i have never used a harmonic balancer made by them but i have used alot of other things made by them and overall i have been very pleased with their quality for their price. i would rather chance it with a new dorman pulley than buy a used big name brand pulley. just inspect the pulley and make sure it looks good... i.e. the rubber is not cracked and it all looks as it should. make sure you use a longer bolt to install the new pulley,,, you can make your own tool or you can buy the balancer install tool that BYUNSPEED sells. its a bad *** tool, i have used it time and time again awesome tool
thinking of maiking one wiht ready rod, nuts, and washers. whats the rpice on the BYUnspeed do you have a link? Is it 16mm by 2 ready rod? Would I need grade 8? Should I use ARP bolt or OEM?
Old 11-27-2011, 03:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I like the hawks tool for installation. Your run-out sounds fine though.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

how much is the hawks tool? Link?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Its the one at byunspeed. Its about $50 and works great.

Quick Reply: what is the runout spec for the crank snout? Trust aftermarket ballancer from Dorman?