Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Typhoon Intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typhoon Intake

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-LS1-L...item19cb363e99

Any good, or steer clear?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Tappet Head
That's still a question I ask. I've got a 96mm polished Typhoon on a 383 11:1 with Patriot heads, 92mm tb, 104 MAF and lid, 1 3/4 LTs, 222/228 .579"/.579" 113+4 LSA and produced 429rwhp/422rwtq. I feel like there may be some left on the table with this particular cam, so I'll be switching to a 102/102 I picked up cheap. Unfortunately, I won't know before your auction ends
Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Personally, I'd stay away from the Typhoon intake. There's a reason everyone around here runs with a FAST or LS6 (mainly)
Old 12-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm happy with the 85mm nonpolished version. Don't know
if the 96 flows comparably to the FAST or whatever other
big ones are out there. The installation problems with the
original gaskets were fixed. Heat-soak is brought up but
my temperature-gun readings say this is bogus.

If "There's a reason everyone around here runs with a FAST
or LS6 (mainly)" I'd like to hear it. Mostly it seems like gossip.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

From what I've heard and read, it's a matter of the perpetuation of "everyone else uses FAST/LS6, so it must be good." I picked up a Typhoon 96mm, and though I don't have it installed yet and can't speak personally for the performance gains, the construction is definitely solid. Everyone else seems to be getting gains right up to and beyond what are seen with the FAST 90 or 92, plus the Typhoon has an advantage in being two-piece aluminum, so it can be ported fairly easily. The big advantage, though, is price. You can get a new Typhoon, which comes with fuel rail assembly, for about 2/3 the price of a new FAST by itself. For those of us on a budget, and with minds of our own, it can't be beat.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Typhoon is good if you find it at the right price. About a year ago you could have gotten the intake/rails/TB all in a 96mm for under $600. Id say go for it
Old 12-01-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are upgrading from an ls1 intake there is nothing wrong with the typhoon/bbk.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I'm happy with the 85mm nonpolished version. Don't know
if the 96 flows comparably to the FAST or whatever other
big ones are out there. The installation problems with the
original gaskets were fixed. Heat-soak is brought up but
my temperature-gun readings say this is bogus.

If "There's a reason everyone around here runs with a FAST
or LS6 (mainly)" I'd like to hear it. Mostly it seems like gossip.
Well when you consider the prices of the LS6 and FAST, I feel like you get more for your money and a better overall quality intake for the price. Used LS6 in the 300-350 range and used FAST prices around 600+. Hell, a new 102 is $850 right now. I'd argue that both the FAST and the LS6 are of better quality than the typhoon
Old 12-02-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Better quality in what respect?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:49 AM
Teching In

I have a LS6 intake atm, looking around at different options, I like the Edelbrock manifold aswell, and have seen them for a good price, clearance is an issue for me.

Thanks for the info so far fellas, If I had the cash I would put the two side by side and see. I spose it will also come down to the head/cam combination aswell, one may work better with different setups.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

After talking with half a dozen people who run the Typhoon intakes, I bought one myself. It will be going on the car as soon as I get home from Iraq. Here's what these people almost universally said:

1) Gains are seen after upgrading from LS6 intake to Typhoon intake
2) The old "heat sink" myth is just that: a myth (for this manifold, at least)

For those that say, "FAST is better. Go with that." Comparing a Typhoon intake to a FAST intake is apples-to-oranges. One costs under $500 ready to bolt on (including fuel rails). The other, twice that amount. That's like telling somebody to go with TFS heads after they asked about "budget" heads like ported 243s. If I had over $1k just sitting around, I would have happily picked up a FAST. Instead, I chose to go the more budget-friendly route and still get a good intake.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Banned

I say stick to the composite/ plastic type intakes such as a fast or LS6..I paid nearly 500 for a BBK intake and after I installed it the bastard would'nt seal up correctly to save my life (and yes I did use new gaskets).I then took the car to a very well known and respected shop that specializes in LTX and LSX engines and platforms and when I asked them to try to get my BBK intake to seal they nearly laughed me out of the building. Was told from many ppl those intakes suck mearly because they have problems sealing and keeping a seal (not in every case tho) and the shop tried installing it but had the same problems with it sealing so they slapped a LS6 intake on and it was a first time GO!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Personally, I'd stay away from the Typhoon intake. There's a reason everyone around here runs with a FAST or LS6 (mainly)
could'nt agree more!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's nothing wrong with the BBK, their headquarters is in the next county and everyone I know that has or had one loved it, they only sold it to with a bigger intake

OP don't be afraid to get it. You will see gains over 4K and lose nothing down low. It doesn't make sense to spend 350 on an LS6 and another 80 or so on a Ported TB. So that's 430. For the same money you can have a BBK or the Pro Products intake and TB. You can port the BBK to 85mm and the Pro Products to 90,92 or 96. It doesn't make sense to me to buy an LS6 when every other intake aside from the edelbrock lineup will show gains up top.with no.low end loss
Old 12-03-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Better quality in what respect?
Let's just say I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for. I'd rather pay the extra money for a quality piece like the FAST. You can tell me I'm wrong if you'd like, but I'm entitled my opinion. Are you really going to argue that Professional Products and their made in china typhoon intake is similar quality to the FAST intake? I would sure hope not. Also the "gaskets" they sell, well, I've heard they usually inspire a call to customer service. Nothing against guys running the typhoon, I just feel like you can do MUCH BETTER for a LITTLE MORE $$.

Gotta pay to play, right?

Last edited by Rare96LT1Formula; 12-03-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Let's just say I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for. I'd rather pay the extra money for a quality piece like the FAST. You can tell me I'm wrong if you'd like, but I'm entitled my opinion. Are you really going to argue that Professional Products and their made in china typhoon intake is similar quality to the FAST intake? I would sure hope not. Also the "gaskets" they sell, well, I've heard they usually inspire a call to customer service. Nothing against guys running the typhoon, I just feel like you can do MUCH BETTER for a LITTLE MORE $$.

There's no argument that a FAST is great quality; however you could buy 2 of the Typhoon intakes WITH fuel rails for 1 FAST intake+rails. Is it worth it? If you have the extra money, why not? All we are trying to say is, "If you don't want to spend $1,200+/- on an intake manifold, the Typhoon is a viable option and shouldn't be overlooked simply because it's not a FAST."

Once I get my intake on, I'm going to have it tuned/dynoed. I'll talk to my tuner and see if he'll lend me a FAST to swap on immediately after so we can do back-to-back dyno runs on a heads/cam car. Heck, maybe I'll leave the LS6 manifold on at first and use it for a control. I will then go to the drag strip with my buddy who runs a near-stock '02 SS(LS6 intake manifold) and we'll do half a dozen passes and measure temperature differences on the intake manifolds between passes. I'll do a writeup with my findings and let y'all know. It will be a couple months though; I'm still deployed at the moment. In case my tuner can't/won't lend me a FAST, is there anybody in North Carolina that would be willing to undertake this experiment with me?
Old 12-03-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by W es 6
There's no argument that a FAST is great quality; however you could buy 2 of the Typhoon intakes WITH fuel rails for 1 FAST intake+rails. Is it worth it? If you have the extra money, why not? All we are trying to say is, "If you don't want to spend $1,200+/- on an intake manifold, the Typhoon is a viable option and shouldn't be overlooked simply because it's not a FAST."

Once I get my intake on, I'm going to have it tuned/dynoed. I'll talk to my tuner and see if he'll lend me a FAST to swap on immediately after so we can do back-to-back dyno runs on a heads/cam car. Heck, maybe I'll leave the LS6 manifold on at first and use it for a control. I will then go to the drag strip with my buddy who runs a near-stock '02 SS(LS6 intake manifold) and we'll do half a dozen passes and measure temperature differences on the intake manifolds between passes. I'll do a writeup with my findings and let y'all know. It will be a couple months though; I'm still deployed at the moment. In case my tuner can't/won't lend me a FAST, is there anybody in North Carolina that would be willing to undertake this experiment with me?
Again, you're purchasing two items with very different quality. My intent is not to bash the typhoon, not at all. I've read the typhoon makes a little more power than the LS6 over 4K RPM. Not sure how accurate those figures are and for what size typhoon but that's what I've seen. More power is what we're all after, right?!? I agree the FAST is expensive, but it's a QUALITY piece and there's a reason why alot of members are running it because it's the intake to run if you're looking at making serious power.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing against guys running the typhoon, I just feel like you can do MUCH BETTER for a LITTLE MORE $$.

I somewhat agree but the only reason fast can jack up their prices is because no other company offers a plastic intake.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

I guess I just don't understand how the FAST is 2x the quality, that's all. Like I said, I would like to debunk all of this myth vs. fact crap for myself. I will do a thorough writeup once I get home and post the results; not trying to start a war, I just want to get actual, tangible information out there for people to see. And if it turns out that the Typhoon is less than I expected, then I guess FAST will have 1 new customer lol
Old 12-03-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

^ I don't hear much of anything as far as PP's R&D on their intake...

FAST on the otherhand: (Read the whole article)
http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/milli...mble-4708.html

Quick Reply: Typhoon Intake