Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reinstalling A/C. What do I need to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Reinstalling A/C. What do I need to do?

I just bought a 02 WS6 that has had the A/C removed for quite some time. Everything forward of the firewall was removed. I bought the parts needed to replace everything forward of the firewall but what about the evaporator that is still inside the dash? A guy I know that works at a body shop said that's junk after being exposed to air for so long. Is this true or can I just reinstall everything with new seals, get it charged, and go?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the evaporator in the dash could be corroded and or have debris inside of it after being exposed for so long. if it has been unplugged for a long time it could even crack when you try to charge it. you might find some luck looking in the parts for sale section looking for a whole car part out.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Why would it be corroded? Just from being exposed to the air?
Old 12-02-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes,,A/C systems are sealed systems. It may not be corroded, but if it was left open, its dEfinately contaminated, and it dont take much to make a restriction in the system, then you have problems.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

Is there a way to check and see if mine is still good?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could use compressed air to see if it blows through, but that is only going to tell you if it isn't blocked, you could still have corrosion in there and when you put it together and put the system under pressure it could start leaking in the cab and that stuff can not be good for you! . I highly recommended replacing it. I know that it is a B*TCH to replace.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it wasn't capped off or sealed off in some way its going to have some kind of crap in it. You could try flushing it with the proper ac flushing tools but i'll bet till you pay for that it woooood be cheaper just to replace it.

OR you could roll the dice and take a chance on it?