Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this True

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Is this True

I have been thinking about adding a under-drive pulley but I've heard from a few people that it's not good to run the pulley with having a sound system. Is that true? What do you guys think can I not run a pulley because of the sound system?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes,, if you are running a big setup with a large amp, and speakers that will draw quite a load on the charging system. The underdrive pulley slows the accessory system down, which means less power to run components, When you figure that GM gave these cars an alternator that supplies X amount of capacity, and you throw High draw audio components at it, You may be fine, but if you slow the system down and still throw those components at it, It a safe bet you will have trouble.
The real question is why are you wanting the UD pulley, If its performance I can tell you this, Performance and Big audio dont go together, when You figure the system will add a considerable amount of weight to the car. You would probably gain the same result from removing the audio equipment as you would from the UD pulley.
However The UD pulley will help the egine revv a littel quicker.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RARON455
Yes,, if you are running a big setup with a large amp, and speakers that will draw quite a load on the charging system. The underdrive pulley slows the accessory system down, which means less power to run components, When you figure that GM gave these cars an alternator that supplies X amount of capacity, and you throw High draw audio components at it, You may be fine, but if you slow the system down and still throw those components at it, It a safe bet you will have trouble.
The real question is why are you wanting the UD pulley, If its performance I can tell you this, Performance and Big audio dont go together, when You figure the system will add a considerable amount of weight to the car. You would probably gain the same result from removing the audio equipment as you would from the UD pulley.
However The UD pulley will help the egine revv a littel quicker.
Yeah it was for performance purpose. I was thinking while I am changing heads I would put one on. I figured I continue modding my bolt on car but just don't know what else is there to bolt on there.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think if you overdrive the alt pulley and UD the crank you'll be fine.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I think if you overdrive the alt pulley and UD the crank you'll be fine.
Anyone know any truth to this? I'd like to know.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Teching In

I run a 10% UD on a LS6 (stock alt). Running a Kicker 1000 amp, 10" solo classic, and set of QS 6.5 components with no problems at all. No cap, just good quality wire and the big 3 covered.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Or you could do the truck alt mod and underdrives, my truck 160amp alt puts out more amps at idle than my stock alt did at 5000 rpm.