Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking exhaust setup

HI everyone i have a 02 z28 m6 and i already have slp loudmouth 1 exhaust....what headers and y pipe is the best hp gain for the money? and some people say to change the loudmouth muffler because it sounds horrible with headers...any suggestions on a muffler? i want the exhuast setup to be very loud but has a nice scream to it like the loudmouth 1 has...any help please...i know its a opinionated subject but any help is appreciated! thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my friend was running a a single 4 inch dynomax bullet threw his y pipe and it sounded great with headers.

im going with a magnaflow catback simply because of the big cam large cubes and headers and Ory I will be using i want to try to quiten it down some

go to ls1sounds.com and listen to some of the setups
Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran hooker longtubes and ory with LM1 and it was LOUD. It is very raspy. Some people actually like it, and some dont. It wasnt that great when driving around. But at wide open throttle it is sweet.

I am running TSP Duals and LM1 with longtube headers are very almost close as far as sound wise. But duals is so much better when it comes to overall everything with sound.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with dropping the LM1 since your getting longtubes, crap sound. All longtubes will give basically the same power gains. Difference is in quality/fitment. As for a y pipe, same thing. If you're going with longtubes, and an O/R Y, I'd suggest a chambered muffler if you want it to have more of a tone... as opposed to a bullet muffler if you want more rasp/treble. If you go with a catted Y, go with the bullet. I personally like a LT/ORY/Chambered muffler/Cutout setup. Roar's when the cutout is closed, screams with it open. I just think LT/ORY/Bullet is gonna be annoying loud when cruising or trying to have a conversation. I like cars that are annoying loud, BUT having an option to tame it down a bit is always nice. Get a cutout for sure with whichever setup you go with!

Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am currently running a loudmouth catback with a borla xr1 muffler ORY and pacesetter longtubes. Its not TOO loud but at WOT its very very loud. Driving around is not too bad, you can definitely make noise when you want to though!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

I'm running Jet Hot Hooker LT's with the Jet Hot ORY & GMMG CB - the sound is perfect for that 'muscle car' sound. Nice deep low sound @ idle - really wakes up when you get on it - but not a bad loud sound - sounds like many of the big block 60's cars I had back in the day. I don't use my T/A for DD - mostly show car, so the noise level does not bother me. Actually, the noise is not at all obtrusive on the hiway in cruise mode while in OD...

Won 'Best Sounding Exhaust' trophy at a show with this setup.

Previously I had the Borla setup, which wasn't too bad with factory manifolds and cats, but with the headers and !cats - the sound was for crap and very raspy
Old 12-19-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See sig. Everyone who has heard it says it sounds mean as hell.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

I run kooks headers and kooks true duals and its wicked loud