Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 102 "Truck" Intake (**NEW** Chassis dyno results added!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default FAST 102 "Truck" Intake (**NEW** Chassis dyno results added!)

Needs a new name....LOL

Cause this one just kinda implies its for....well....a truck....why would you put it on a hot street or strip engine?

While "Cross ram in a bread box" sounds kinda weak (cool if you drop the bread box!), it really does kinda fit!

For those who have never seen this monster with the lid removed (its like 12" tall!), I thought I would share.

Name:  2006_0110FASTtruck0008.jpg
Views: 4013
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  FAST102TruckInt.jpg
Views: 4408
Size:  123.9 KB

Name:  FAST102TruckInt1.jpg
Views: 4472
Size:  101.4 KB

I know it unfortunately doesn't fit under the hoods of most of the enthusiasts that participate in this forum, there are some guys that can use it and I post these pics for more of an "awareness" thing than anything else. I'm porting this one for a customer obviously and I truly wish I could go to town on one for my Vette but unless I cut up my firewall and run a 4" cowl its not happening.

I tell you though, when discussing intake manifold design, it doesn't get much better than a straight shot runner and a bellmouth.....and a fairly long runner at that which would make good torque due to the length and good HP because of how little it knocks the flow of your intake runner down. This is mainly attributed to its straight shot port design....."line of sight" is always a good thing when discussing anything airflow related and its obvious this intake excels in that department.

I wish the intake looked this good with the cover on....(and not so much like a big gray breadbox!). But exterior aesthetics aside, this intake rocks and its no wonder it makes more torque and horsepower than the convention LSR manifold.

Cool stuff....guys if you have a project this can fit under the hood don't rule it out but much like the entire line, the out of the box versions leave some room for porting, mainly due to compromises in tooling and other production issues that are hard to get away from in any as cast component, especially ones assembled from multi pieces. Then there are some of the special shapes and mods to this intake that I perform just like I do on the LSxR.....its very similar (out of the box) when you compare the last 4" of all eight intake runners and the base of the manifold is exactly the same.

Happy Holidays everyone

-Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 12-20-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Tony, this is very interesting picture.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does have a name....

FAST car intakes are LSXR
FAST truck intakes are LSXRT
Old 12-20-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR

hell, just leave the ugly cover off and run that baby like this! you should throw it on your motor like this and take a picture tony!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

How long are those runners?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tony,

I've always been interested in seeing this intake on several engine combos because of the torque generating aspects. As you mention, I guess no one runs this type of intake due to height restrictions. I'd love to see a comparison of the 102 "car" intake versus the 102 "truck" intake. I would imagine the torque curve would be greatly increased...even on a stock-type motor. Any comparisons out there?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Several truck guys are running this intake, I'd like to get into myself. However, a lot of people have had problems with warped intakes and vacuum leaks. Out of the box this intake picks up 30rwhp over the stock intake on a H/C 6.0 and gives up nothing anywhere.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TrentSS
Tony,

I've always been interested in seeing this intake on several engine combos because of the torque generating aspects. As you mention, I guess no one runs this type of intake due to height restrictions. I'd love to see a comparison of the 102 "car" intake versus the 102 "truck" intake. I would imagine the torque curve would be greatly increased...even on a stock-type motor. Any comparisons out there?
I have not personally backed to backed this intake against the LSxR but I know they have done it on the Comp dyno numerous times. Its up in power and torque which is what I would expect looking at the line of sight design advantage.

I will try to find out how much TQ and HP the next time I'm in touch with Comp and report back. I remember something to the tune of 10 TQ and 10 HP when we discussed this intake at the PRI tradeshow in 2010 (not the last one). I will follow up with that info.

Regarding vacuum leaks I suspect its more related to some sort of install error. The top (big gray bread-box) is O-ringed to the base (see pics above), the runners are O-ringed sealing them to the base, and the base has really thick O-rings that seal each port to the cylinder head (just like an OEM intake). Some people take the cheap route and run old crushed OEM gaskets around the port outlets of the manifold which is a mistake. Get the new FAST O-rings....for $30 - $35 its good insurance to make sure your intake seals up perfectly against the cylinder head.

-Tony
Old 12-20-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the difference in overall height of the truck vs. car 102? (the FAST website does not seem to provide this info.)
Old 12-20-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

i wanna stay up to date on this cause i currently am installing a 6.0 in my mustang and with my hood the truck intake fits with a little room to spare. what type of gains with boost?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 86lxnotch
i wanna stay up to date on this cause i currently am installing a 6.0 in my mustang and with my hood the truck intake fits with a little room to spare. what type of gains with boost?

I've read that the Fast intakes don't like boost because of their 3 piece design, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along and answer.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

it'll be awhile before i would get into one anyways but if they dont ill just crank the boost up a little more
Old 12-20-2011, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Regarding vacuum leaks I suspect its more related to some sort of install error.
-Tony
I agree, Ive install a lot of these and never had an issue. Mine even had some warping that others have seen. It simply is a issue cosmetically, it seals up every time......when properly installed.

Originally Posted by Darkman
What is the difference in overall height of the truck vs. car 102? (the FAST website does not seem to provide this info.)
The overall height, measured from the valley cover to the top of the intake is about 10.5"
Originally Posted by sepsis
I've read that the Fast intakes don't like boost because of their 3 piece design, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along and answer.
This is incorrect, the new 102mm LSXR/T manifolds are a totally new design that withstand boost better than the old 3 peice design(78/90/92mm). Maybe you had your info confused. These intakes are rated to 67psi, so unless your running a deisel, you should be fine.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you for the pictures.
What makes this intake attractive for me is the fact that I can use my stock truck accessories and pulleys. With the LSXR I would have to round up a car set-up. Since the truck accessory package works fits well in my custom installation, I prefer to keep them.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

It would be nice if they sold a slightly shorter runner version for combinations that might favor that. Have you ever tried shortening up the runners on any of these type manifolds on higher RPM applications?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Regarding the boost capability of the LSXR, I realize it's just one example but Hot Rod Magazine put a dual turbocharger set-up on a 4.8 using the LSXR and boosted it over 21 pounds for several dyno runs with no problems. Great article, incidentally. They tried to destroy the stock junk yard short block to see what the capability was. At 1200 hp and over 60 pulls later, they never were able to destroy it.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Here are the articles Ive seen;

LSXRT on boosted Trailblazer SS (+50rwhp)
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ade/index.html

LSXRT Naturally aspirated 5.3L (+30fwhp)
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/ca...ke-75465.xhtml

LSXR 4.8L, 21psi (1200hp, mentioned above)
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...g_bang_theory/

LSXR Z06 (21psi 8 second car)
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...z06/index.html
Old 12-20-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to see the dyno compared to the LSXR too. And no 2nd pinch
Looks like 2-3" shorted runners then the LSXR

Last edited by studderin; 12-20-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very ITB-ish.......minus a few more t-bodies of course
Old 12-20-2011, 09:12 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I wonder just how much cutting would be required to fit it on a 4th gen Camaro.

I imagine the wipers disappear right off the bat, but that's why they make Rain-X.... I'd also venture a guess that the stock SS hood goes as well. That's ok too, as ive been looking for an excuse to run that tall-*** SS hood.

Hmm.... Anyone done it yet?

Quick Reply: FAST 102 "Truck" Intake (**NEW** Chassis dyno results added!)