Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Codes... Is it Headers and Y pipe time???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES Codes... Is it Headers and Y pipe time???

The bird is kicking out the following codes, I've reset it to see if they come back which is in the following order
P0420 P0430 and shortly down the road P0005

The first two pertain to the cat and the third is "Fuel Shutoff Valve A Control Circuit/Open"

My first question, is it time to replace the cats? I always thought it would run like crap with a faulty cat. I also believe I have a slight exhaust leak somewhere too. Gonna run it to a shop to check it out in the next couple days... If it is time to replace the cats, a buddy of mines said go with a set of BBK full lengths with the Y pipe,(http://www.jegs.com/i/BBK-Performanc...rentProductId= )eliminating the cat all together I believe. I think this would sound good with the current CatBack Borla on it. Would be an easier justification to make this move rather than forking over the $$$ for new cats. BTW I live in MI where we don't have any emission BS (the one great thing about MI other than we are living in Mad Maxx times here).

The last code, P0005 which all I can find is a generic code via my google search, has me somewhat perplexed and would greatly appreciate some insight to its origin and solution for correction OR is it just one of those codes kicking out from the P0420/0430???

BTW I am open to any better suggestions other than BBK. BBK also happens to be in the budget, but let me know your thoughts on something else that would better complement the Borla exhaust that on it.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

P0420+P0430 means you definitely have some cat inefficiency going on, usually meaning your cats are shot in one way or another. I had the PO420 code a while back and it ran completely fine, you couldn't even tell anything was wrong with it, drove it for a month and a half with a bad cat. To fix it, I just bought a $300 O/R Y that bolts up to the stock manifolds, it worked great but it was a mistake at the same time.

Definitely get the LT's to go with the O/R Y if you choose to go that route and not just replace your cats. Also, not only have I heard good things about BBK, but you might want to check out Pacesetter and TSP, they're also great headers for the money.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Ramos
The last code, P0005 which all I can find is a generic code via my google search, has me somewhat perplexed and would greatly appreciate some insight to its origin and solution for correction OR is it just one of those codes kicking out from the P0420/0430???
Thanks dude, but is this code in any relation or should I just do the headers and clear the computer to see if it comes back?

Also, by going with the LTs and OR/Y would I have to worry about O2s kicking out a code or do most of these type of kits (BBK kit above) include some type of O2 bypass?