Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster to Borla?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flowmaster to Borla?

I am unable to measure at the moment but would it be possible to just swap mufflers from my Flowmaster cat back to a Borla muffler? I know people have run combo's like a Borlamouth, etc.

I'm not a fan of what the Flowmaster sounds like. Any help is appreciated...

Edit:

I found this info...

Flowmaster Muffler:
Inlet: Diameter 3.00 in.
Outlet: Diameter 3.00 in.

Borla Muffler:
Intermediate Pipe Diameter: 3.000 in.
Tailpipe Diameter: 2.250 in.

I find it odd that the output on the Borla is so tiny?!
Old 01-03-2012, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thought is a catback for the gain is a wast of cash. a ele-cutout will gain more power and cost less. My boy has a factory ss catback on his car and when he wants power and sound,he will open the cutout. If i knew this when i got my car,i would still have a stock ws.6 catback on with my headers and a cutout. By the way,i have the b&b tryflow and on the dyno i saw a 1 hp gain for my $700. not worth it at all..
Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mike c.
My thought is a catback for the gain is a wast of cash. a ele-cutout will gain more power and cost less. My boy has a factory ss catback on his car and when he wants power and sound,he will open the cutout. If i knew this when i got my car,i would still have a stock ws.6 catback on with my headers and a cutout. By the way,i have the b&b tryflow and on the dyno i saw a 1 hp gain for my $700. not worth it at all..
agreed. but if you have your heart set on a muffler id go with borla. i absolutely hate, with a burning passion, the way blowmasters sound on a ls1 fbody. and im sure more would agree
Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want a good sounding/high flow/quiet muffler, then you'll like the Dynomax #17536 Ultra Flo Welded, 3 in. Inlet/Dual 3 in. Outlet, Stainless Steel(about $115).

IMO, this will be you best bet if you want minimize modification your current FM cat-back and keeping the dual exhaust pipes.
If having dual tips in the rear isn't important then you have a lot of options.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 01-05-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, Borla does not make a crossflow design. Even their catback has a single in/out muffler.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I am getting an electric cutout anyway, but I really want the car to sound better. I VERY MUCH miss my SLP catback on my LT1 Camaro Z28. I hate my Flowmaster.. SO MUCH... lol.

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
If you want a good sounding/high flow/quiet muffler, then you'll like the Dynomax #17536 Ultra Flo Welded, 3 in. Inlet/Dual 3 in. Outlet, Stainless Steel(about $115).

IMO, this will be you best bet if you want minimize modification your current FM cat-back and keeping the dual exhaust pipes.

If having dual tips in the rear isn't important then you have a lot of options.
Thanks man. I need to call Dynomax to get my pricing on that. I have a huge dealer account with them

Quick Reply: Flowmaster to Borla?