Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals Question

Well I've decided true duals are probably the best option for me. What do you guys think is the best way? I would like to pass emissions, and my state does the sniffer tests. So I would need high flow cats, and I would like to have cutouts as well (CME out the rear). I would like to have a good amount of ground clearance because I plan on lowering about 1.25"

Would it be possible to convert the Kooks system to CME?

suggestions are welcomed (kinda why I'm asking)
Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think we have the sniffer here in MD and a good exhaust shop would have no problems making the kooks cme.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes you could hack the kooks up to run a cme, would i , hell no lol im not going to pay that much and cut it up lol, im sure you can find an exhaust shop that will custom make you a dual set up, make sure to bring pics in when looking for a shop, most shops will tell you it cant be done, honest its just finding the right shop to do it,
Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see a problem cutting up a looks for a CME, I don't think you would even have to, just have adapters made for the pipes. Anything can be made to work though
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There was a guy who did it one here and posted pics of the CME with Kooks TD's. I was quoted $1800 for 3" custom stainless over the axle by a local shop. If you call Maryland speed you can buy the Kooks for a lot less, but you have to call them. I'd try and find a shop and get a quote for the setup you want then make my decision.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Teching In

My friend had a 1987 IROC, and he barely passed. How good are the Kook's headers? cause so far it looks like I'll do kooks with CME.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Looks like it works

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-install.html

But I guess Kooks headers would probably work best?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
There was a guy who did it one here and posted pics of the CME with Kooks TD's. I was quoted $1800 for 3" custom stainless over the axle by a local shop. If you call Maryland speed you can buy the Kooks for a lot less, but you have to call them. I'd try and find a shop and get a quote for the setup you want then make my decision.
^^ +1, I bought my kooks true duals from maryland speed, and I'll tell you i didn't pay anywhere near $1800, call maryland speed and ask how much they want, i bet you will be presently surprised! Good luck finding a local shop that will do a custom 304 stainless MANDREL BENT dual system, and if somehow, someway, you do find a shop that will do it good luck paying less than what maryland speed wants for the kooks true duals.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had my duals done on my old LS1 for like 400 bucks OVER the axle, wasnt stainless or mandrel but i honestly believe there wouldnt of been any gain, everyones caught up on that but if the bends are pretty smooth i dont see the difference. Stainless would of ran me a few hundred more.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
^^ +1, I bought my kooks true duals from maryland speed, and I'll tell you i didn't pay anywhere near $1800, call maryland speed and ask how much they want, i bet you will be presently surprised! Good luck finding a local shop that will do a custom 304 stainless MANDREL BENT dual system, and if somehow, someway, you do find a shop that will do it good luck paying less than what maryland speed wants for the kooks true duals.
This!

Originally Posted by stumprrp
I had my duals done on my old LS1 for like 400 bucks OVER the axle, wasnt stainless or mandrel but i honestly believe there wouldnt of been any gain, everyones caught up on that but if the bends are pretty smooth i dont see the difference. Stainless would of ran me a few hundred more.
Probably not this given the historical data of $400 duals around here. No offense stumprrp but I'm generalizing the fact that although you do have "duals" the price point which you paid and what the Kooks system represent is more than just "flow'. Its about an engineered system designed to last, maximize performance and fit.

OP - I have a Kooks system to install and as someone who believes you get what you pay for, you cant beat the price for what this is. I did quote a similar system with a local custom shop that does do mandrel bends and uses 304 stainless. He was a $1000 bux over what I paid for the Kooks. Just sayin...