Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 High FLow Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1 High FLow Catalytic Converter

What's the ups and downs of running 1 Catalytic Conveter after the Y on the Y-Pipe? I'm pretty much trying to kill some of the burning trash/gas smell. Would one converter effect RWHP/Sound?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

I doubt there will be enough heat to make the cat work effectively. For the I pipe location I would suggest a bullet or spiral-flow muffler.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shadow1999
I doubt there will be enough heat to make the cat work effectively. For the I pipe location I would suggest a bullet or spiral-flow muffler.
It'll defiently be the bullet style cat. Is it even worth it though if it don't get that hot back on the I?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be fine in the i-pipe. It might not be as efficient as it would be off the collector but it should knock the smell down and wont hurt hp. The sound with cats is much better imo. I have tds and have my bullet cats installed just before the x-pipe and they get Plenty hot. Melted the old carpet i have on my garage floor so now i keep a metal pan on the floor to keep that from happening again. I would mount it just after the merge to keep it as hot as possible.
The following users liked this post:
LS CHEVY II (05-31-2022)
Old 01-06-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LeftySS
I think it would be fine in the i-pipe. It might not be as efficient as it would be off the collector but it should knock the smell down and wont hurt hp. The sound with cats is much better imo. I have tds and have my bullet cats installed just before the x-pipe and they get Plenty hot. Melted the old carpet i have on my garage floor so now i keep a metal pan on the floor to keep that from happening again. I would mount it just after the merge to keep it as hot as possible.
Cool. Thats what I wanted to hear. As long as I can knock the smell down a little without losing any power, it'll be perfect.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Oh and i would recommend the metallic (not the ceramic) spun cats.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you put the 1 cat after the merge and still pass inspection in tx?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am thinking about doin this, put one thunderbolt rigth in front of the lmII muffler,

the car will be undrivable with them on the Y pipe because of the ground clearance
Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Test that I have done a DB sound wave meter, comparing a race muffler and high flow cat located behind the y-pipe shows that the cat does a better job of cutting sound about 2DB and gets rid of the rasp. the cat core temp was measured after a short drive and I read temps of 660 degrees this was after having the motor off for 10 minutes as I removed the cat to measure the core. this is well within the light off range for cats of 400-600 degrees. so the cats do work in that location. exhaust smell was reduced. and there is a lot more ground clearance in that area under the car. looking to do Dyno runs to see if there is any HP loss using the cat in that location, seat of the pants feel was better low-mid pull with the cat. but need to comfirm with dyno run.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by toadzq8
Test that I have done a DB sound wave meter, comparing a race muffler and high flow cat located behind the y-pipe shows that the cat does a better job of cutting sound about 2DB and gets rid of the rasp. the cat core temp was measured after a short drive and I read temps of 660 degrees this was after having the motor off for 10 minutes as I removed the cat to measure the core. this is well within the light off range for cats of 400-600 degrees. so the cats do work in that location. exhaust smell was reduced. and there is a lot more ground clearance in that area under the car. looking to do Dyno runs to see if there is any HP loss using the cat in that location, seat of the pants feel was better low-mid pull with the cat. but need to comfirm with dyno run.
I know this is an old thread but wanted to see what were your findings. I just ordered two Thunderbolts to get welded but if I can get away with this setup that would be great running it on the i-pipe to save space and direct my attention to fixing the banging your. I haven't really been driving my trans am because I have two children and don't want them inhaling the gas smell at idle.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by warriorpluto
I know this is an old thread but wanted to see what were your findings. I just ordered two Thunderbolts to get welded but if I can get away with this setup that would be great running it on the i-pipe to save space and direct my attention to fixing the banging your. I haven't really been driving my trans am because I have two children and don't want them inhaling the gas smell at idle.
I would think having both cats in system would remove more of the smell possibly but I doubt you would see much difference at all in hp, between having one over two, especially if u have 3" exhaust.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

I would think having both cats in system would remove more of the smell possibly but I doubt you would see much difference at all in hp, between having one over two, especially if u have 3" exhaust.
I have a really big problem with losing performance with the y pipe banging around. I was thinking of If mounted two it would make it worse. I was also thinking of mounting the cats like how Texas speed does their ypipe.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Do you have poly or solid motor mounts? Mounting the cats like tsp definately helps with clearance. Mine are mounted similar on my td system.

Last edited by LeftySS; 02-08-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Do you have poly or solid motor mounts?
stockers. I just put in an order for ebay cats. Should stop most of it. My car has 150k on it

Last edited by RevGTO; 02-09-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Those look like a nice piece.. i hope they eliminate the problem for you.

Last edited by RevGTO; 02-09-2017 at 12:12 AM. Reason: No ebay links on the site
Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 AM
Teching In

I have one cat after my merge. I use an "Outlaw" 3.5" > 5" body. No smell and pass my emissions with it. Flows the best and has the least smell out of the ones I've used down under.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

i hope so too
Old 02-09-2017, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Aussie_LS2
I have one cat after my merge. I use an "Outlaw" 3.5" > 5" body. No smell and pass my emissions with it. Flows the best and has the least smell out of the ones I've used down under.
it these thunder bolts aren't that great I'll get the one you have. Have a link?
Old 02-10-2017, 02:07 AM
Teching In

They don't look anything special but they're manufactured by the leading header manufacturer in Australia. Nothing but success

http://www.outlaw4x4.com.au/html_pages/about_us.html

http://performancewarehouse.com.au/i...&search=outlaw
Old 04-22-2019, 06:12 PM
Teching In

So, i also want to add hi flo cats. I currently have LT's (dont know the brand, but they have the flanges), they go to an x pipe and are duals over the axle into a duel in/out muffler in the rear. I cannot find any shop willing to add these in at all. They all seem to think that they have to be at the collectors where you have less ground clearence and say it cant be done. I want to cut down the smell and sound. I am at 95db at idle and 105-107 for normal driving on the interior. I also don't know if switching to two borla xr1's in the rear for example would make me louder or quieter than the dual in/out, lol.

And does anyone know if I would have to get a re tune adding in the hi flo's? Currently the rear o2's are tuned out. I have the btr3 cam, 92 fast ported stock heads.

Thanks for any advise

Quick Reply: 1 High FLow Catalytic Converter