Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Gurus need to solve this issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS1 Gurus need to solve this issue

I feel like a groaning noise when I go from a stop to wot but driving normally or not putting a lot of load on the car it drives perfect?

UPDATE: vibration/grinding feels around the floorboard of the car, went to a shop and had the car on a lift with me on, if i put the car in neutral and reved couldnt hear anything, if i put the car in drive and gave it gas i could feel hear the vibration around the tranny area or somewhere around the gas pedal??

Any comments appreciated

Last edited by needtransam; 01-31-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noise has to be in the rear Did you check wheel bearings unbalanced tires
Old 01-07-2012, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I didn't read all of the previous thread but if you hit a curb and then replaced your rearend and reused your axles maybe when you hit it you bent one of the axles.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i can hear the rumble like under my feet from the drivers side?? its like a vibration from a dead stop to wot or just anytime during WOT??
Old 01-09-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Firstly, this question belongs in the gears & axles section, not the external engine section.

Second, you posted the same stuff in the wrong section twice. This might **** people off.

Third, as you stated in the other thread "i have really loose breaks like the brake pedal goes all the way in and no brakes" STOP DRIVING THIS CAR IMMEDIATELY.

It appears to me that you damaged something during your curb hit and using the axle that took the hit wasn't such a great idea. I'm curious-why did you use the old axle instead of the axle that came in the replacement rear?

As the cause of the problem is being difficult to find, I would suggest you find a shop and have them diagnose the issue. Pay for it, get it in writing and also get a written estimate for the repair. You'll then have a choice-fix it yourself or pay them to do it.

AND FIX THEM BRAKES!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

first brakes are fixed, second i posted on this section since its the most active and this problem may apply on the external section as I state that i dont think its the axel anymore, third i used the same axels since it had better screws and was/looked pretty clean compared to the one I got
Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Check motor mounts and check to see if your Y-pipe is hitting the floor boards somehwere. When the engine is under load it rocks over more than just revving it in the DW in neutral.

Have someone look under the hood with a flashlight while you gently power brake it in the driveway. Look around the bellhousing area, exhaust area and see how much the engine torques over.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Check motor mounts and check to see if your Y-pipe is hitting the floor boards somehwere. When the engine is under load it rocks over more than just revving it in the DW in neutral.

Have someone look under the hood with a flashlight while you gently power brake it in the driveway. Look around the bellhousing area, exhaust area and see how much the engine torques over.

I actually was thinking my motor mount but would they make like a grinding growling noise? y pipe and everything seems really solid i just got back from welding all the pipe and seems its not exhaust related, im thinking either motor mounts, something with tranny area, what can the bellhousing do to make this noise?? something with driveshaft but it doesnt seem its hitting anything??

And you can clearly hear the sound when I floor the car, and its constantly their until i left off the throttle?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:18 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

OK, cool to all that^

I'm thinking when you hit the curb, you might've shifted something in the exhaust. Car stops suddenly, attached heavy stuff wants to keep going.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a noise I couldn't figure after I clipped a tree. It was grinding every time the car was under load turned out it was the sway bar rubbing on the a/c compressor I bent the sway bar
Old 01-09-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

uhmm good point i should look into it while the car is under load i guess my best bet is to put it up in a lift and put it in drive and see whats up?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I can't say what may or may not have happened when you had an accident.

On our cars when there is a grind/rattle/knock/vibration under throttle it almost always ends up being that the driver side of the y pipe is hitting the body of the car because the motor mounts are weak and or worn out. Check your y pipe clearance between the body and the pipe under the driver seat area.

Like posted above in slightly different wording, put it drive, foot firmly on brake, give it some gas and see if the pipe is hitting the floor.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a guess due to you hitting a curb & your vibration, have you checked the driveshaft uni's, if worn or out of balance you will get that vibration.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I can't say what may or may not have happened when you had an accident.

On our cars when there is a grind/rattle/knock/vibration under throttle it almost always ends up being that the driver side of the y pipe is hitting the body of the car because the motor mounts are weak and or worn out. Check your y pipe clearance between the body and the pipe under the driver seat area.

Like posted above in slightly different wording, put it drive, foot firmly on brake, give it some gas and see if the pipe is hitting the floor.

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
Just a guess due to you hitting a curb & your vibration, have you checked the driveshaft uni's, if worn or out of balance you will get that vibration.

Ok, it may indeed could still be the y pipe so I won't rule it out, and ill check the driveshaft, do both sides of the driveshaft use unis? since i swaped my rear the one that connects to it seemes good (but im not sure what bad looks like?) and never checked the one that connects to the tranny?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by needtransam
Ok, it may indeed could still be the y pipe so I won't rule it out, and ill check the driveshaft, do both sides of the driveshaft use unis? since i swaped my rear the one that connects to it seemes good (but im not sure what bad looks like?) and never checked the one that connects to the tranny?
Yea both ends have a universal joint...Older models on some cars used to have grease nipples newer ones these days don't tend to.
They become dry inside & the needle rollers give out with no grease making the uni sloppy which then makes the drive shaft out of balance. If you've owned the car for a number of years & they don't look like they've ever been replace, do them,. Nothing like a uni breaking when you're dropping the clutch.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Something similar happend to me, (noise wise) and it ended up being the torque arm was loose. It caused a noise while driving. I took the impact to it and problem solved. May not be your problem, just an option you might check out.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

check out the U-joints,and maybe check the trans tail shaft bushing.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ttt...
Old 02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

My Jet-Hot Y-pipe would rub the frame just a little. That area is right near your feet. Hooker/Jet-Hot/Pacesetter are very close in design. I doubt it would happen on the lift as the tires are way to easy to move compared to being loaded.

Quick Reply: LS1 Gurus need to solve this issue