Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice after tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice after tune

hey guys
so my buddy took his 2000 ws6 to the tuner yesterday in which we are good frinds with. he has slp lid, ms3 cam 237/242 .603/.609 112lsa,1 3\4 lt's, 3" ory, ported ls1 manifold, comp dual valve, springs, lunati push rods and stock heads with a 3 angle valve job. High flow cats as well. Now he put down 400 whp and 406 tq. Now the car does not have a muffler right now it just runs through the headers, y and high flow cats and is dumped over axles. the tuner said if we added a catback with a chambered muffler it will really help. With no muffler he has no back pressure and by adding the cam he said he really needs that back pressure. He then also said to see a big jump do the F.A.S.T intake and bigger maf sensor. We all know that will add power he was just making suggestions. What I really want to know is it really worth it to spend the money on a catback if it will make that much difference or not.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Needing back pressure is a myth. The car will not make more power with a restriction in the exhaust, but it will sound a hell of a lot better.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dumped y pipes sound like ***, i have a ms4 and when i took my catback off we wanted to hear how it sounded with a open y, yeah sounded like ***! if anything do duals sounds way better and will help with the bigger cam, also a stock ls1 intake is killing his car, ported ls1 intakes still are a major choke, a fast set up of even a ls6 would gain him alot, i for sure would go with a dual setup on that car and ditch the cats,big cams like that need every max effort part they can get, bigger maf,better intake blah ,blah those cams need to be set up right to get the full potential out of them
Old 01-17-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
dumped y pipes sound like ***, i have a ms4 and when i took my catback off we wanted to hear how it sounded with a open y, yeah sounded like ***! if anything do duals sounds way better and will help with the bigger cam, also a stock ls1 intake is killing his car, ported ls1 intakes still are a major choke, a fast set up of even a ls6 would gain him alot, i for sure would go with a dual setup on that car and ditch the cats,big cams like that need every max effort part they can get, bigger maf,better intake blah ,blah those cams need to be set up right to get the full potential out of them
I am actually thinking about buying the car off him in a month or so. Now we live in NY so we are supposed to have cats. I would like to fab up true duals with bullet mufflers dumped before the rear axle. And yes I want to do the fast intake combo with tb I know it will see huge gains. I really didnt want to dish out all that money for a cat back system anyways