Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running headers & Y pipe through Stock SS Muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running headers & Y pipe through Stock SS Muffler?

I just recently (July 2011) bought me another "Hot Rod" after being without one for about 20 years, and I'm trying to do me some research on the best bang for the buck on it ('cause I still have a 15 and an 11 year old at home!). I got a '99 SS Camaro with a 6speed, unknown aftermarket cam, unknown brand headers, no cats, X pipe with true duals running under the rear end that looks like I designed, welded, and installed with one hand behind my back, a patch on one eye, and drunk. It sounds good at idle (idles kinda fast after you get to driving it), but when you get down on it, it sounds like the whole exhaust system is coming through the floorboard. What I'm thinking about doing is ripping everything out behind the headers and putting in a Y-pipe, 3" pipe back to the original factory SS muffler (which I got with the car when I bought it and is in new condition). Does anybody have a setup like this, and if so how do you like it and what's it sound like? Eventually I'd like to go with the Magnaflow cat back system, but for now I figured I'd use what I have. Thanks for any help.....
Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 PM
9 Second Club

I have a 99 ss with the same muffler. I am getting rid of it. In my last build it lost 3/10's with it on. Has a nice sound though.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

A friend of mine was running headers and ory through the factory back half, didn't sound too bad but isn't the most efficient set up. You could throw in a cut out though.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you put the factory SLP Dual Dual in there I'd do it, I put a Dual Dual on my ws6 with long tubes, ORY and no cats and you wouldn't believe it, it sounds great and has a decently loud tone on the outside but there is almost little to no resonance on the inside, going 70 I can't hear a thing. With your cam it'll sound even better
Old 01-19-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heres a video of my old Trans Am.

LT's, ORY, Cutout, and a Stock catback.

I really liked the set up. Super quiet around town with the cutout closed and of course pretty damn loud with it open. Other than the fact the thing weights a million pounds its the best of both worlds IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpdNu...O26D51Orjj3vmI
Old 01-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replys. I was thinking since I had the LT's, add a Y pipe with no cats, that the factory SLP muffler should be rather free flowing and should sound good. Here's the PN that I got off of the muffler, so I'm assuming it's something that SLP installed on the car when they waved their wand over it. The muffler has stamped on it "GM 10421501 YNF" and below that "7 1 320 8". I'll try and post a picture of it later on. Thanks again for all the input....
Old 01-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Teching In

I was thinking of doing the samething with a 3in. cutout.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The "performance exhaust" in later years had a bigger
better muffler, but LT1 and earlier LS1 were not so good
and you might even have some kooky internal restriction
making the "dual" mostly cosmetic.

My '02 with CME sounds pretty sweet with long or short
tubes, no cats, ORY. I wouldn't go louder, it'll honk well
enough when you get on it but cruises and idles pretty
non-cop-aggravating.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Should any ORY work with the LT's I have, or do I need to find out what brand headers I have and match up the Y pipe to them?